• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unsettling story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsettling story

This is a bit unsettling this, and its got me torn in my views.

My daughter went to visit a friend from her schooldays, they are both 35 now, and found her with puffy eyes and extremely agitated. The friend had obviously been crying.
    The friends hubby is a taxi driver in Liverpool. Now taxi driving can be a bit risky, especially at night, so this guy carried a steak knife for protection, he reckoned that he could always claim it was for cutting up food.
    A few weeks ago, he was pulled over by the police. He reckons he was sleeping in his car, the police accused him of trying to hide his face. They searched the car , found the knife and arrested him. There is a zero-tolerance policy of carrying knives in Liverpool.

So he is up in court and looking at three months. When he comes out there will be no job, no house, and judging by the puffy eyes, no wife either

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

3 months better than 3 years, after that when he came out he'd have another wife...

Comment

There are plenty of ways of protecting one's self but carrying a massive steak knife is a little over the top. I weighty spanner or hammer would have been more likely as opposed to a samurai sword or sawn off.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

A big knife is crazy. You either have to hope they're scared, or be prepared to stab someone. Mace or whatever is probably better.

That said, I can understand wanting to have the equivalent of a baseball bat if you work with the drunken public.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My step dad is a taxi driver here in the west country, he carries a cheese knife to cut cheese for his crackers.

100 miles, different world.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

hasn't everyone got Large tyre spanner under their seat? Who wants a knife involved, more likely to cut myself.

Stupid but sad.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Have to say a steak knife probably isn't the best choice. Something blunt and more easily explained might be better - a 6 battery Maglite or a wheel wrench are somewhat easier to justify having in a car...

Granted it's a bit late for that, but in terms of dealing with the current situation, get a good brief, get the punishment reduced to as low as possible, if he ends up having to do time speak to the mortgage lender and ask for a payment holiday - that's a lot less hassle for them to arrange than a repossession.

Oh and buy the wife some flowers
              Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
                Have to say a steak knife probably isn't the best choice. Something blunt and more easily explained might be better - a 6 battery Maglite or a wheel wrench are somewhat easier to justify having in a car...

Granted it's a bit late for that, but in terms of dealing with the current situation, get a good brief, get the punishment reduced to as low as possible, if he ends up having to do time speak to the mortgage lender and ask for a payment holiday - that's a lot less hassle for them to arrange than a repossession.

Oh and buy the wife some flowers
                He is of course a scouser though. Breaking the law runs through his bones.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

well I have to say,

considering how high profile knife crime is these days in the uk and the campaigns against it, I wouldn't recommend anyone to have anything resembling a knife in their person or car

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    There are plenty of ways of protecting one's self but carrying a massive steak knife is a little over the top. I weighty spanner or hammer would have been more likely as opposed to a samurai sword or sawn off.
                    It didn't say 'massive steak knife'. A steak knife isn't usually very big.

Sounds very harsh to me to give someone 3 months for this; fair enough to give a warning and maybe a fine, but if there's no evidence to suggest it's for anything other than self defence, it seems a bit over the top to send the guy to prison and basically fook up his life. Would be different if he wa carrying a big samurai sword or a sub machine gun, which could suggest more aggressive intent than self defence.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X