• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pointless inventions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless inventions

Or facilities, services etc.

Dentistry is one, as we have discussed recently. The oldest con in the book and about as useful as sorcery.

Another is stereo sound. Multiple speakers are good but music doesn't sound better if different parts of it come from each speaker. Somebody dreamed up this idea in the 60s to make their equipment sound advanced and we have been buying these things without questioning it ever since.

Any others?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Mini earphones for personal stereos. They don't make your music listening a private matter, as everyone can hear it; it just means everyone hears an annoying high pitched tch ttcchh ttcchh whizz woo tcchh instead of proper music. Proper old fashioned headphones are better.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Recessed shop doorways. why ??

Everyone knows they will be wee'd in by drunken blokes, kipped in and wee'd in by homeless tramps, and clogged up by wimps every time it rains.
      come on shopkeepers, get it sorted

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Recessed shop doorways. why ??

Everyone knows they will be wee'd in by drunken blokes, kipped in and wee'd in by homeless tramps, and clogged up by wimps every time it rains.
        come on shopkeepers, get it sorted

You have a point, but I find it rather sad that fine works of architecture might need to be adapted to mitigate the effects of antisocial activity. In Haarlem there are a number of fine shop buildings including some rare (for NL) examples of Jugendstil architecture, where the recessed doorway is decorated with fine and colourful tiles. It would be a shame if these doorways were to be covered; they introduce a little culture into a shopping area preoccupied with money and commerce.

Comment

Avocado saver
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Computers, what's wrong with filing cabinets?

My dad had a secretary all his working life now you get a laptop, not fair.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              You have a point, but I find it rather sad that fine works of architecture might need to be adapted to mitigate the effects of antisocial activity. In Haarlem there are a number of fine shop buildings including some rare (for NL) examples of Jugendstil architecture, where the recessed doorway is decorated with fine and colourful tiles. It would be a shame if these doorways were to be covered; they introduce a little culture into a shopping area preoccupied with money and commerce.
              Yes many useless inventions start out as seemingly logical and brilliant ideas, but then when they come into use, people respond by putting them in the bottom drawer. I dont much like some of the fizzy pop modern architecture, prefering something that fuses abstract modernism and historical tradition

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Without which there'd be no culture. Wealth is needed to commission architecture and other art works.

Florence for example was very wealthy in the 15th cen and was also blessed with forward looking patrons.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Computers, what's wrong with filing cabinets?

My dad had a secretary all his working life now you get a laptop, not fair.
                  I think my dad had most of his secretaries.

Mother wasn't happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    Without which there'd be no culture. Wealth is needed to commission architecture and other art works.

Florence for example was very wealthy in the 15th cen and was also blessed with forward looking patrons.
                    Indeed; but the town centre needs to mix these aspects; I can't stand shopping malls which seem to be purely directed at selling me more and more tulip I don't want; today, 3 useless pieces of tulip for the price of 2! I do like town centres where many functions come together, like commerce, art, culture, music and social areas. That's one of the great strengths of European cities and towns; many Americans visiting Europe are very impressed with how our towns combine all these functions in one place and I don't want to see that going down the drain.

Oh, and archaeological evidence suggess art existed before commerce.

Comment

Working...
                    X