• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm, needle in a haystack dot com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, needle in a haystack dot com

I registered a domain name a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd just have a quick browse to see if it had popped up anywhere in the search engines yet and, sure enough, it's on this site.

Splendid.

Trouble is, so are several other domain names. 105,671 registered yesterday alone. 100,220 other domain registrations on the day I registered mine. Assuming most days are around the same, that's going to be more than 36 million new domains a year.

...wisrapidsdailytribune.com
    withbb.com
    withpoison.com
    wittieproject.com
    wivibombom.com
    wizardye.com
    wizecs.com
    wizetradeforoptions.com
    wizkhalfia.com
    wizsard101.com
    wj-6688.com
    wjbddradio.com
    wjroya.com
    wkat1360.com
    wkoins.com
    wkucreditcard.com
    wlentorcenterestwood671.com
    wlentorfrostalcon665.com
    wlentorfrostalcon668.com
    wm2fibertel.com
    wmashable.com
    wmtam600.com...

Still, give it six months and everyone will be talking about my one, just you wait and see.

Bit wobbly from a night out, but correct me if I'm wrong

This is :

a) dull
    b) mememe
    c)lookatme
    d)wgas

May be wrong, and if so, heart felt apologies in advance

Kind regards

DullFoooker01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      I registered a domain name a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd just have a quick browse to see if it had popped up anywhere in the search engines yet and, sure enough, it's on this site.
      So, the only web site you link to is not the one you are talking about.

I despair of people's SEO knowledge.

Want to know about licking climate change?

Whether all the liberals are chutney ferrets?

Or want to buy MF's soccer club placemats made from Italian tiles?

The Lick The Spoon web site (for chocolate lovers) must have been gutted when they were knocked off the top slot for spoon licking trivia.

It's such a shame I can't really put Lick the Chutney Spoon on my CV or LinkedIn profile.

Although my favourite is a search for snot gobbling deviant.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Yes plenty of domains registered every day, how to stand out and rank in search engines?

Backlinks are the key...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          The Lick The Spoon web site (for chocolate lovers) must have been gutted when they were knocked off the top slot for spoon licking trivia.

It's such a shame I can't really put Lick the Chutney Spoon on my CV or LinkedIn profile.
          Strictly speaking, you can, and it would attract a certain kind of client

No, you're right, you can't, as it would attract a certain kind of client

Although my favourite is a search for snot gobbling deviant.
          Google’s mission: to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.

Accessible +1; Useful... well, no disrespect to HAB, but they've got a job on with that bit of information

Comment

Still, give it six months and everyone will be talking about my one, just you wait and see.
            FYI, Google have recently published an update to their SEO Guide (first link is their blog post about it, second is PDF of the actual document).

If anybody tells you that there's more to know than is in there, and they're asking for money before they'll tell you what it is, they're lying to get money out of you.

Of course free advice ought to be appraised on the basis of its cost: it can be worth having, but you should judge it on its merits. That also applies to this free advice. I think Hofstadter would appreciate the self-referentiality

Comment

So, the only web site you link to is not the one you are talking about.

I despair of people's SEO knowledge.
              No, that wasn't really the point of the post. I haven't even put anything on the site yet, just registered the domain. I was (in a dull, lookatme sort of way, without actually even mentioning mememe's domain name) just a bit taken aback by the sheer volume of registrations each year.

Comment

No, that wasn't really the point of the post. I haven't even put anything on the site yet, just registered the domain. I was (in a dull, lookatme sort of way, without actually even mentioning mememe's domain name) just a bit taken aback by the sheer volume of registrations each year.
                It's a big world out there buddy. Need to grasp this concept if you are going to run a successful website.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, that wasn't really the point of the post. I haven't even put anything on the site yet, just registered the domain.
                  Sorry, I was a bit harsh.

Without having read NF's recommended Google advice on SEO yet, I'd make my first SEO tip:
                  • SEO is a frame of mind. If it occurs to you to say something online, if at all possible you should make it relevant to your web site and point to it. Keep that in mind all the time.

I was just a bit taken aback by the sheer volume of registrations each year.
                  I was surprised ChutneySpoon as a domain was free (ooh look, another link). I thought all the two-word combinations were taken in the mid 1990s and had just stayed that way ever since.

What is really surprising is how fast domain names relating to major disasters get registered, although almost all are by domain name parking entities.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I thought all the two-word combinations were taken in the mid 1990s and had just stayed that way ever since.
                    This seems entirely plausible, but I've registered a few pretty nice two-word domains since then.

Comment

Working...
                    X