• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop thread

I have a glut of programming work coming my way which will take me on the road for a bit. I think it's high time I got a new laptop. Reading a spec is one thing, having a play with one in the shop is another, reading customer reviews is another, but what I really rate is the views of this panel

ICore 7 would be nice. A bit worried some of the older IDEs won't run under windows 7 such as VB6. (Some customers have old VB6 apps and still want them maintained - if they're buying I'm selling if you know what I mean)

So any new laptop victories you can mention?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I suspect we'll need more info. Is weight an issue? Will you want to be watching movies? Using it at ClientCo as a dev machine or as a CUK posting machine?

I have a UbiSurfer that'll go in a jacket pocket that uses the Vodaphone network for net access and is OK for web browsing.

I have a small EeePC netbook that runs happily for 5 hours and is the highest spec machine I have!

I have a 10 year old Vaio laptop that I will miss sorely when it dies. It goes almost everywhere with me.

Personally, I hate wide screen laptops and do not watch films on small screens anyway.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 21 October 2010, 15:41.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Alienware M17X
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        I have a glut of programming work coming my way which will take me on the road for a bit. I think it's high time I got a new laptop. Reading a spec is one thing, having a play with one in the shop is another, reading customer reviews is another, but what I really rate is the views of this panel

ICore 7 would be nice. A bit worried some of the older IDEs won't run under windows 7 such as VB6. (Some customers have old VB6 apps and still want them maintained - if they're buying I'm selling if you know what I mean)

So any new laptop victories you can mention?
        Run different versions of windows as VMs.

Simples.

Comment

I use Virtualbox. Or buy VMWare Workstation.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

For your level of programming skill may I recommend:

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
                iPad
                iPad? Isn't that the large print version of the iPod for old people?
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  For your level of programming skill may I recommend:

Son I was coding when you were an itch in your Daddy's pants.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I suspect we'll need more info. Is weight an issue? Will you want to be watching movies? Using it at ClientCo as a dev machine or as a CUK posting machine?

I have a UbiSurfer that'll go in a jacket pocket that uses the Vodaphone network for net access and is OK for web browsing.

I have a small EeePC netbook that runs happily for 5 hours and is the highest spec machine I have!

I have a 10 year old Vaio laptop that I will miss sorely when it dies. It goes almost everywhere with me.

Personally, I hate wide screen laptops and do not watch films on small screens anyway.
                    Mmmmm weight is not really an issue. Just needs to look good, be solidly made and go like HAB in a brothel

Comment

Working...
                    X