• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

Just installed this hard drive on me Macbook pro

Like a normal hard drive expect the most accessed data resides on 4gig of flash.

Awesome performance, booted up and ready to use in 18 seconds from cold.

500Gig, not bad for £95
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just installed this hard drive on me Macbook pro

Like a normal hard drive expect the most accessed data resides on 4gig of flash.

Awesome performance, booted up and ready to use in 18 seconds from cold.

500Gig, not bad for £95
    What's the mtbf of the flash?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      What's the mtbf of the flash?
      unknown. Overall the drive is 750K hours, that must take the flash into account. I'm hoping failures shall reside will within the PDF.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

unknown. Overall the drive is 750K hours, that must take the flash into account. I'm hoping failures shall reside will within the PDF.
        It's the number of writes to the flash that worries me.

I fancy an SSD for apps/libs/dlls etc and a HD for the temp files etc.

Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to buy one and play with it.

Comment

They should be using SLC flash in those, so much better endurance.

Comment

Not comparing EEPROM with Flash?! Jesting. I don't know why it would be an issue. After all processors are made of the same material which operate at mind boggling frequencies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              They should be using SLC flash in those, so much better endurance.
              and reliability...

Comment

and reliability...
                This word should not be mentioned insofar hard disks are concerned

Comment

I fancy an SSD for apps/libs/dlls etc and a HD for the temp files etc.

Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to buy one and play with it.
                  I've been running two SSD Intel 150Gb drives for about six months now. They host my Sql server TempDb and a couple of the most active databases for plan B, so far they have had around 20Tb in writes to each of them and show zero on the media wear out stats in the management software they come with.

For the price I paid related to the performance I get I'd happily replace them every two months, and I will be buying more very soon.

From the research I did at the time I bought them though, it does seem to be the case that you should not just buy the cheapest.
                  Last edited by PRC1964; 21 October 2010, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    This word should not be mentioned insofar hard disks are concerned
                    Forever why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X