• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most Football fans are not homophobic, says Study.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Football fans are not homophobic, says Study.

There was an interview on R4 the other day with the two researchers; quite interesting.

Answering an online survey using your own mind is obviously quite different to becoming part of a baying crowd, it seems.

A good friend of mine played semi professionally for a while. He is open, and comfortable with his sexuality, but admits he can imagine how terrifying a prospect 'coming out' could be to a professional player.

Very sad indeed.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Is where you stick your todger really relevant to playing football?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Zaccly.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        Zaccly.
        Might be in Ruggers though..

Comment

Only in the changing rooms.

Comment

Means they're probably less likely to pork your wife, so a good thing I should say.

Comment

Might be in Ruggers though..
              I think rugby is generally more liberal than you might think; most players these days really don't care about sexuality of other players.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Means they're probably less likely to pork your wife, so a good thing I should say.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I think rugby is generally more liberal than you might think; most players these days really don't care about sexuality of other players.
                  sheeesh...t'was but a jest

Comment

The thing about football is it's mostly banter verging on the offensive. The whole point of it is to wind your opponents up and to try and put them off your game.

A prime example is Rooney getting pelters about being caught with the whores again.

If a player comes out as homosexual, it just gives fans ammunition. It's the same as being Black, Yellow, Ginger, Scottish, English, Fat, Small, etc, etc.

If you don't get it then you most probably don't get football. By definition a working man's game where the humour is 'rougher' and you don't show weakness.

I'm sure there's far worse said to people working in factories, the forces, garages, colleges, etc, etc on a daily basis.

I for one have been called far worse in the forces than I've ever heard someone called at a football game.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X