• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "*.gov.uk" is run by poor sys admins thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The official "*.gov.uk" is run by poor sys admins thread

Oh ffs -

1) Companies House - works
    2) http://companieshouse.gov.uk/ - doesn't!!!

I have this tulip with homeoffice.gov.uk few years ago - just how hard is it to get webserver running on www. and non-www. versions?

At least it's working weekends now. That's an improvement:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...r-service.html

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Oh ffs -

1) Companies House - works
      2) http://companieshouse.gov.uk/ - doesn't!!!

I have this tulip with homeoffice.gov.uk few years ago - just how hard is it to get webserver running on www. and non-www. versions?
      Not hard at all, as you know. It always amazes me when I come across that particular form of rank incompetence, and both central and local government sites are extremely prone to it. They probably paid some big consultancy firm millions of quid for something broken that a small webdev business could have done properly for between 1% and 10% of the amount.

If this mob are serious about saving money, they need to realise that binning big IT consultancy firms and giving the work to people who actually know what they're doing is essential. However, they get political funding from those big consultancies, so that's never going to happen

Comment

There's the secondary issue of redirecting http://example.com to http://www.example.com or vice versa to provide a consistent address.

Alexei: To stop vBulletin from fiddling with the links, uncheck the following items when posting:

* Automatically parse links in text
        * Automatically retrieve titles from external links

P.S. If you subsequently edit the post you might need to go into Advanced Edit to uncheck those again.
        Last edited by Sysman; 24 October 2010, 10:32.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Always thought these were the same thing but discovered the other day that (for Firefox etc) there is a difference. php session variables don't get passed if you put a www. in a form action.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Always thought these were the same thing but discovered the other day that (for Firefox etc) there is a difference. php session variables don't get passed if you put a www. in a form action.
            Passwords too. And cookies.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

With my contract/job situation being extremely grim, as well as the comms /IT boards I'm using the Directgov jobs and skills search - Homepage website.

Their last one was tulip but this one is even worse, specifically:

Times out too quickly
              Rubbish search engine.
              Too many jobs incorrectly SOC coded

Comment

Originally posted by Aman View Post
                I'm using the Directgov jobs and skills search - Homepage website.

Their last one was tulip but this one is even worse
                I cannot get anything useful from that site, despite the JCP employees saying it gives exactly the same results as the terminals in the job centre. So I just use the terminals which have a far easier interface and they give results. (And you can print them out for free.) Why they couldn't produce a web front end for that, I cannot imagine. It is far simpler and more reliable to use.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I used one of those job centre machines once. It found me a great job in the middle of the English Channel.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

That job was probably just a fishing exercise.

Comment

Working...
                    X