• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm thinking about getting a bigger tent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about getting a bigger tent

My Sundowner tent is pretty good (at £29.99), but looks pathetically small when it's sitting in a camp-site pitch and I also have to lay diagonally inside it because it's a couple of inches too short along its longest side, unless I want to breath tent in at night and make crinkly noises with my head and/or feet. Also, having your head bulging out makes one wonder if someone might kick it just when you are nodding off. Anyway, it's a touch small for sleeping, so I've been considering getting a bigger less pathetic looking one. Perhaps one with more bells and whistles, but I don't know what these are as my current one seems great, aside from looking pokey. Strangely enough, all the 1 and 2 man tents I've seen so far appear similarly length challenged or even worse. A four man tent appears to give me the extra length needed though, sleeping across-wise from the position displayed in the tent gumpf. I find all lengths have to be increased somewhat in the camping world for practical purposes, e.g. a sleeping bag has to be a foot longer than the dimensions given and a tent has to accommodate one or more person more than it's advertised to accommodate.

But I'm a bit at a loss as to why people pay hundreds of pounds for a tent when cheap ones seem to do the job. What's wrong with this one for only £42? I've seen less favourable reviews for tents costs 10 times as much.

Old: New contender:

Another thing I've been considering is a hammock:

Which would allow travelling light, no aircraft hold costs and no camp site fees. They look a little uncomfortable though. Has anyone tried sleeping in one?

Comment

I do enjoy a little tenting

Comment

forget the hammock

out of interest, how tall are you ?

The proposed new one has a great advantage, you can stand upright without getting your feet wet or muddy. Side loaders have the same advantage

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          I do enjoy a little tenting
          It was with some trepidation that I referred to the urban dictionary to find out what this means, only to discover I already knew and that it was relatively benign.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            forget the hammock

The proposed new one has a great advantage, you can stand upright without getting your feet wet or muddy. Side loaders have the same advantage

6'2" or 188 cm in new money.

Comment

forget the hammock

You must have used hammocks in your army days? What is that minuscule picture? What is a side loader?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                6'2" or 188 cm in new money.
                odd, I'm 6' 4", and never had a problem.

get yourself over to a tent shop, they have em all set up nowadays for you to practice in.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  You must have used hammocks in your army days? What is that minuscule picture? What is a side loader?
                  hamocks are too restrictive, you need to carry spare 6' stakes in case there are no trees, and people just take an evil delight in tipping you out. Plus you will get muddy feet

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

hamocks are too restrictive, you need to carry spare 6' stakes in case there are no trees, and people just take an evil delight in tipping you out. Plus you will get muddy feet

When I see Ray Mears tying his knots, which he finishes with a quick release slip knot, I do wonder whether any of the film crew have ever considered a similar delight in giving his knots a quick tug when he's asleep. He uses hammocks. But yes, I would only use it where there are trees.

Comment

Working...
                    X