• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Registration

Hi guys,

looks like I will have to register for VAT soon. What does this mean for me in terms of my business setup? I assume I have to inform the agency that I am now VAT registered and I have to start billing for VAT? How do I pay the VAT and what do I do with it? What benefits are there to VAT registration and what headache is there?

I have not thought about it till now so would appreciate advice on where to start. I know there are pages and pages on this, but just looking for a practical next step.

Thanks

Do you have an accountant?

If not get one asap as they will be able to give you advice on this and other matters. Some accountants will do your VAT calculation for you.

Anything to do with VAT can easily be found by googling the words "HMRC VAT"

This is the first link I found - HM Revenue & Customs: VAT

Have a good read.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There aren't many headaches. IANAA.

If you're services based you'll probably be better off on Flat Rate Scheme (FRS) means you can't reclaim VAT on purchases below a certain value something like 2k gross on one invoice.

If you sell hardware and other goods, invoicing /cash VAT will be your bag.

VAT is a non entity as far as your personal income goes, except for a small amount gained if on FRS.

You bill the VAT as a %age, currently 17.5% going up to 20% in Jan 2011, on top of your rate.

Then, if FRS, depending on your area of business pay a %age of gross invoice value to HMRC,
      see Current Flat Rate %ages.
      and Flat rates %ages after Jan 2011

The difference between VAT billed and the VAT paid goes into the company accounts as profit.

In cash/invoice accounting you pay the difference between VAT invoiced (services and goods) and Vat paid on purchases.

Hope my simpletons version wasn't too confusing.

As said before an accountant can help you with all of this.
      Last edited by Scrag Meister; 25 October 2010, 14:36.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Could somebody shed some light on this flat right thing? you said:

You bill the VAT as a %age, currently 17.5% going up to 20% in Jan 2011, on top of your rate.
        How much is flat rate? and does that mean i bill for 20% + flat rate?

Comment

I think Sue Ellen has given you some useful pointers... Might be worth reading them?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Could somebody shed some light on this flat right thing? you said:

How much is flat rate? and does that mean i bill for 20% + flat rate?
            VAT is a tax that is normally added to the value of your fees, currently the rate is set at 17.5%. So, if the invoice for your services is £2,000 you would add £350 (£2000 x 17.5%), making the total invoice £2,350.

The flat rate you apply depends upon what your business is, assuming that you are an IT contractor, the rate is currently 13%, so you pay over 13% of the gross invoice, ie £305.50.

This gives you a saving of £44.50.

If you join the Flat Rate scheme at the same time that you register for VAT, then you also have a 1% discount, so the rate would be 12%, so you would pay over £282.00 saving you £68.00

I hope this explains, but it might be wsie to find an accountant who can do all this for you.

Alan

Comment

Flat rate VAT or not?

If one has bulk input expenses as standard rated then flat rate would possibly not be the best option. Flat rate is easy to manage , low admin cost and time to compile book, it should be worked out on individual client basis.

Comment

I assume I have to inform the agency that I am now VAT registered and I have to start billing for VAT?
                You add VAT to your invoice which will now have to include your VAT number and the amount of VAT as a separate item. You don't really have to inform your customers, they will get the message when they see your invoices.

How do I pay the VAT and what do I do with it?
                HMRC send you a notice saying you have to submit a VAT return, this is done every 3 months. You pay the VAT through online banking, they will give you the sort code, account number and reference you need to use, your accountant will tell you how much to pay.

What benefits are there to VAT registration and what headache is there?
                There is a bit more admin work to be done but your accountant deals with this.

Ask your accountant about the Flat Rate Scheme (FRS). It means you add VAT at 17.5% (soon to be 20%) and give (depending on your business) 13% of that to VAT man. Your company keeps the difference as profit, easy moneys! However, your company can't claim back the VAT on any thing you buy unless the invoice is over 2,000 pounds.

Your VAT registered customers don't care that you are now charging VAT as they claim it back.
                Last edited by Wanderer; 26 October 2010, 19:27. Reason: Corrected as pointed out by RichardCranium below - thanks
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  You don't really have to inform your customers, they will get the message when they see your invoices.

Your VAT registered customers don't care that you are now charging VAT as they claim it back.
                  FTFY

Regarding the Flat Rate Scheme (FRS), it seems almost all contractors benefit from being in it. However, I like to buy lots of 'toys' (PCs, netbooks, software, comfy office furniture, etc) that can legitimately be bought by the company, and buy expensive training. So my LtdCo has always been better off outside the FRS. My last accountant switched me to the FRS without telling me; thankfully the VAT people let me unwind that wrong decision without any penalty - my accountant thought I was mad so I had to show him he was wrong. But I am an oddity in that.

Of all the tax rules to learn, those around VAT are the easiest and most stable, and the VAT people are the most helpful. They are also the ones that can search your home and put you in prison. If you get your VAT calculations wrong, contact them and they will be all friendly and helpful and let you put it right in the next quarter and everyone is a happy bunny. Fail to pay your VAT because you spent it one something else and you will wish you'd never been born. Never spend the VAT money: unlike the other taxes the VAT is never yours or LtdCo's money - you merely collect it on behalf of the government.
                  Last edited by RichardCranium; 26 October 2010, 05:35.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

So your telling me that the government gives you an extra 4 or 5% of your income with no strings attached?!

Comment

Working...
                    X