• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit card limits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card limits

I've been reading somewhere that card companies have been cutting card limits for customers with an excellent credit history. I also seem to remember that curbs were being introduced to stop card companies increasing limits without first asking the customer.

I have two credit cards I use occasionally for travel, car hire etc. Just checked the online accounts and both have had their limits increased sometime in the past few days but I haven't had any notification of this.

Anybody else seeing an increase / decrease recently?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I've been reading somewhere that card companies have been cutting card limits for customers with an excellent credit history. I also seem to remember that curbs were being introduced to stop card companies increasing limits without first asking the customer.

I have two credit cards I use occasionally for travel, car hire etc. Just checked the online accounts and both have had their limits increased sometime in the past few days but I haven't had any notification of this.

Anybody else seeing an increase / decrease recently?
    My HSBC credit card limit dropped from about 6K to 2K over the past year or so.
    I hardly ever use it, so maybe they took note of this and reduced it.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      My HSBC credit card limit dropped from about 6K to 2K over the past year or so.
      I hardly ever use it, so maybe they took note of this and reduced it.
      WHS. I had one reduced by exactly the same but sure it wasn't HSBC but I never used it. The ones I actually use however keep getting raised regularly by decent amounts without any prompting ever couple of months. Some of them are getting ridiculous now but I don't intend to use that much but can't be bothered to ring them up and stop them.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My limit has went up 500 quid each year for the last 10 years, last time I used it was 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          WHS. I had one reduced by exactly the same but sure it wasn't HSBC but I never used it. The ones I actually use however keep getting raised regularly by decent amounts without any prompting ever couple of months. Some of them are getting ridiculous now but I don't intend to use that much but can't be bothered to ring them up and stop them.
          I thought they had to write to you these days, advising you of the increase and with an option to reduce back down to the previous credit limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            I thought they had to write to you these days, advising you of the increase and with an option to reduce back down to the previous credit limit.
            But refusing means some awful trip through customer service.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Excellent credit history = tulip customer - you can't make any money out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                The usually slip it into your statement
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

AMEX £14k to £1.8k
                  Halifax £10k to £5k

in the last 6 months
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

I used to have an MBNA credit card with a ridiculous limit which seemed to get bumped up by them willy nilly.

I hardly ever used it so, with that in mind, early on during the recession they cancelled the card without warning and sent me a letter afterwards.

I have a Nat West credit card which, again, I rarely use and they wrote to me in the summer advising me they would cancel it if I didn't make a transaction on it by November.

I used it before then as you never know when you may need it.

My main cards, AMEX & Barclaycard are running as per pre-recession limits but I imagine, if I called up and asked, I would be given a spending increase.

I must admit, I did get the impression a few months ago that perhaps credit card companies are being a bit more flexible as I noticed a return of some balance transfer offers.

BTW, customers with good credit histories (me) are still beneficial to credit card companies as, although they probably settle their bills in full each month, they generate income from the transactions they make.

Comment

Working...
                    X