• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Come friendly bombs and fall on...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come friendly bombs and fall on...

Barendrecht

I went there today, and I struggle to imagine why in heaven´s name anybody bothered to build it. It´s like an industrial estate but less entertaining. Imagine a 1970s motorway services without a Little Chef. In a couple of weeks time I have to spend several days there. Shall not be visiting more often than that. Amazingly, it has a huge, hypermodern glass railway station, obviously designed by someone who thought it would one day become a bustling metropolis. More like a bloody gulag for desperate commuters. Of course, said railway station is miles away from any place you wouldn't want to go to anyway, and don't expect taxis to come and pick you up. The only houses I saw were rows of terraced mock 19th century 'mansionettes', complete with plastic classical fountains and cheap gypsum statues of Venus (you know, the sort of place DimPrawn probably lives in). Really, everything about this place is hideous. It is a monument to bad taste.

Please name other places I can avoid, and which should be placed on a list for whichever kindly airforce flies over equipped with grand slam 2000lb bombs.

Yeah, I know, Slough's the obvious one, but there must be more all over Europe.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 25 October 2010, 20:28.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Please name other places I can avoid, and which should be placed on a list for whichever kindly airforce flies over equipped with grand slam 2000lb bombs.

Yeah, I know, Slough's the obvious one, but there must be more all over Europe.
    When I was working in Slough, for a mercifully short contract near the station a few months ago, it literally did look like a bomb site as they were bulldozing a large area, to make some kind of mega bus station I gather. Every day my car, lungs, and eyes would be coated in a fine layer of dust, as they didn't bother damping this down. Horrible place.

To cap it all, I had a £30 pound fine for overstaying my all day parking time by 5 minutes - The bastard parking warden must have been literally waiting round a corner, desperately hoping I wouldn't turn up in time.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Bracknell
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Bracknell
        Dear Sirs,

Just start bombing at the M4 / M25 junction and continue West in a wide strip until you get to the Severn Bridge.

Thank you.

PS Don't bother with Slough. I can confirm Owlhoot's belief that it has already been destroyed beyond redemption.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Barendrecht - isn't that the Dutch for "Barren Dregs" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Barendrecht - isn't that the Dutch for "Barren Dregs" ?
            I don't know the etymology, but 'Barend' is a man's name and 'recht' is law.

Your analysis comes closer to the reality of the place.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Duisburg in Germany is another city which needs bombing (again)
              It's so bad it just took me 10 minutes to remember the name of the place, despite having had frequent dealings with it for a number of years.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
              X