• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat buying shenanegans!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat buying shenanegans!

Mrs Jog is buying a flat, we were set to exchange and complete a couple of weeks ago but it's been held up by the Freeholders.

2 days before we were due to exchange our solicitor was notified by their solicitor that the freeholders wanted a character reference and a bank reference (she's been approved for the flipping mortgage!) to see if we're Ok for the service charge.

They also slipped in at the end "Oh and by the way - the service charge is actually 25% more than you were told originally"

I can't help feeling that the timing of this "Oh by the way" isn't an accident. Is there a way i can find out what the other leasholders are paying? I've found the service charge company on companies house and can get their reports if necessary.

This 11th hour goalpost move has completely screwed everyone around - we've given notice for a specific date to our landlord, we've booked builders who we've now had to put on hold, the vendor has moved his tennant out and now has an empty flat....

Any of you seasoned property warriors ever come across anything like this before? The 25% service charge increase in itself won't actually make a difference but the way it's been slipped in just before we exchange along with a demand for references that has delayed the whole process has <Aussie accent>really got my goat!</Aussie Accent>
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Mrs Jog is buying a flat, we were set to exchange and complete a couple of weeks ago but it's been held up by the Freeholders.

2 days before we were due to exchange our solicitor was notified by their solicitor that the freeholders wanted a character reference and a bank reference (she's been approved for the flipping mortgage!) to see if we're Ok for the service charge.

They also slipped in at the end "Oh and by the way - the service charge is actually 25% more than you were told originally"

I can't help feeling that the timing of this "Oh by the way" isn't an accident. Is there a way i can find out what the other leasholders are paying? I've found the service charge company on companies house and can get their reports if necessary.

This 11th hour goalpost move has completely screwed everyone around - we've given notice for a specific date to our landlord, we've booked builders who we've now had to put on hold, the vendor has moved his tennant out and now has an empty flat....

Any of you seasoned property warriors ever come across anything like this before? The 25% service charge increase in itself won't actually make a difference but the way it's been slipped in just before we exchange along with a demand for references that has delayed the whole process has <Aussie accent>really got my goat!</Aussie Accent>
    Tell 'em to fook orf. The flat will be worth 25% less in a couple of years.
    Lucky escape for you.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ouch!!

Surely your solicitor can sort something out?

As for a bank reference. I used to work in a branch, we did not do references, so got no idea what they are after.

However, we would have no problem printing a back office statement of the accounts with a covering letter saying thanks for your refeence request - please find the attached. Worth asking your friendly back babe in a nice way who is likely to sort this

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        Ouch!!

Surely your solicitor can sort something out?

As for a bank reference. I used to work in a branch, we did not do references, so got no idea what they are after.

However, we would have no problem printing a back office statement of the accounts with a covering letter saying thanks for your refeence request - please find the attached. Worth asking your friendly back babe in a nice way who is likely to sort this
        Our solicitor is just accepting the situation. We asked him for the last 2 year's reports and he said something along the lines of I'll provide you with 3 years as soon as contracts are exchanged..

I've just sent him an email asking for them now and that I've found the compnay name/number so will begin my due diligence forthwith!
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Is that you Wilmslow?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Is that you Wilmslow?
            Who me or him?

Comment

I'd tell them to shove the flat!
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Personally, as others have said, I'd play hard-ball with the vendors too.

I would imagine they are un-likely to find another buyer soon if at all until next Spring.

I'd also have a word with the solicitor to remind him he should be acting in your interests and not just going for the easy option.

Comment

This is quite serious. It appears that the freeholder and management are taking the leaseholders for a ride. I would suggest telling the freeholder that you want references from the leaseholders regarding their opinion of the freeholder. ( go and knock on the tenants doors and ask them) Leaseholders have a right to take over the Freehold and even manage on their own however most leaseholders are pathetic and don't want the bother. Do some research in the library for the same.

I maybe wrong, but my gut feeling is that your solicitor is a twat or maybe he as left his legal assistant to deal with the purchase. As far as I know, the freeholder can't stop the purchase between the leaseholders.

Get a copy of the lease and read it and then read it again and again. If you don't understand what you are signing, you will be in deep tulip.

If needed sack you solicitor!
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                  X