• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Five ways to cut risk of bowel cancer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five ways to cut risk of bowel cancer

When you've finished checking your testicles, you can move on to your bowels. You'll need a mirror, tube, potato peeler and a laboratory. Alternatively prevention is better than cure:

Five ways to cut risk of bowel cancer - Health News - NHS Choices

Try to get 5:
    • Not smoking
    • Being physically active for at least 30 minutes per day or having a job with light or heavy manual activity
    • Waist circumference of less than 88 cm for women and 102cm for men
    • Weekly alcohol consumption of fewer than seven alcoholic drinks for women and 14 for men
    • A ‘healthy diet’, defined as eating more than or equal to 600g of fruit and vegetables per day, less than or equal to 500g of red and processed meat per week, more than or equal to 3g of dietary fibre per megajoule (MJ) of dietary energy, and less than or equal to 30% of total dietary energy from fat

600g of fruit per day sounds a lot. I try to eat an apple a day, and I feel I am already near my limit. i could manage a banana I suppose. Oranges are okay, but a bit of a nightmare. No veg mentioned thank goodness. And that's 500g of meat per week . Does that include chicken and turkey? Hmm,, this is making me hungry. Crispy golden brown chicken.

Edit: vegetables are mentioned after all. Perhaps that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Comment

Get exactly 12 megajoules a week of energy and you will live forever... remember you heard it on here first!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Get exactly 12 megajoules a week of energy and you will live forever... remember you heard it on here first!
        I think less is best when it comes to food and longevity. At least in rats. Perhaps that's why vegetables are so good for us, because humans can't digest the flippers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Plug yourself in, knock yourself out.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Not having it in the family is pretty handy too.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

There's a chart here which shows, what I assume is, a rate for various cancers in the developed and developing world. Making a sweeping and unjustified assumption that the developing world has a more vegan diet, the following erroneous conclusion can be drawn: Colon and rectal cancer is less prevalent in developing vegetarians, in accord with the above study, but stomach, oesophagus and liver rates are huge. Therefore in conclusion, all that spicy food they stick in their food is rotting their insides, exactly as one might expect.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                There's a chart here which shows, what I assume is, a rate for various cancers in the developed and developing world. Making a sweeping and unjustified assumption that the developing world has a more vegan diet, the following erroneous conclusion can be drawn: Colon and rectal cancer is less prevalent in developing vegetarians, in accord with the above study, but stomach, oesophagus and liver rates are huge. Therefore in conclusion, all that spicy food they stick in their food is rotting their insides, exactly as one might expect.
                Good point. Presumably that hot spicy sensation (i.e. pain) on eating spicy food is the effect of the spice plants' defence mechanisms against being eaten. It's trying to tell your body something.

BTW ISTR that colon cancer is much more common in S than in N India: in the N they eat much more meat. Obvious conclusion: meat is good
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post

BTW ISTR that colon cancer is much more common in S than in N India: in the N they eat much more meat. Obvious conclusion: meat is good
                  If nature did not mean for us to eat meat, we would not have been designed with teeth for chewing it, and it would not taste so darn good.
                  Veggies take note!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    If nature did not mean for us to eat meat, we would not have been designed with teeth for chewing it, and it would not taste so darn good.
                    Veggies take note!!

Becoming more vegan and eating less meat may become the new global warming, as earth's resources further dwindle as the undeveloped world grows richer.

Comment

Working...
                    X