• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free Solar Panels - Think of your footprint!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Solar Panels - Think of your footprint!

ISIS solar - Free solar panels and free electricity

Anyone considered taking this sort of offer up?
    Am mulling it over at the moment as one of the roofs of my property is south facing and of a suitable size.

Think of the children/planet/savings!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    ISIS solar - Free solar panels and free electricity

Anyone considered taking this sort of offer up?
    Am mulling it over at the moment as one of the roofs of my property is south facing and of a suitable size.

Think of the children/planet/savings!!

If you can afford the panels yourself you will get a much better return.

Free solar panels sound good, but buying them yourself is better | Money | The Guardian

Comment

Without reading their fine print, the problem with other free solar panel offers was around the deal for electricity was supplied back to the grid from your panels.

You would get free supply when you were generating and using and would pay normally when you used without generating (in the dark basically). If your house is a 'working' household then your use during the day would be miniscule and the company giving the free panels would make the money from your generation. You would then still pay for the power you used in evenings and at night so the bill reduction would be limited and the supplier would make £800/£1000 a year from your panels.

If you have family who spend all day at home though, you just have to make sure they wade through a stack of electricity during daylight hours
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Without reading their fine print, the problem with other free solar panel offers was around the deal for electricity was supplied back to the grid from your panels.

You would get free supply when you were generating and using and would pay normally when you used without generating (in the dark basically). If your house is a 'working' household then your use during the day would be miniscule and the company giving the free panels would make the money from your generation. You would then still pay for the power you used in evenings and at night so the bill reduction would be limited and the supplier would make £800/£1000 a year from your panels.

If you have family who spend all day at home though, you just have to make sure they wade through a stack of electricity during daylight hours
        Well I often work from home, and Mrs SB only works a couple of days a week, so it would not be that tricky to modify our usage to maximise the savings. Needs more investigation but I am getting a warm glow over how self-righteous I can become once they are installed!!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Or buy storage heaters, and stick things like the fridge-freezer and washine machine on timers. That lot should easily exceed the capacity of the panels. If not, some plan B'er will come along and start selling storage batteries. Or is there fine print...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Or buy storage heaters, and stick things like the fridge-freezer and washine machine on timers. That lot should easily exceed the capacity of the panels. If not, some plan B'er will come along and start selling storage batteries. Or is there fine print...
            Flywheel storage devices - It's the future!

Flywheel energy storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Flywheel storage devices - It's the future!

Flywheel energy storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Would be fun to pick one up and try to turn it.

Comment

Would be fun to pick one up and try to turn it.
                Two flywheels running in opposite directions.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Two flywheels running in opposite directions.
                  That would move easily on one axis and be immovable on the other two (I think). Would be fun, although the forces involved internally would be too great on a hand held sized play unit I suspect. I hear old tank gyroscopes are fun play things though.

Comment

That would move easily on one axis and be immovable on the other two (I think). Would be fun, although the forces involved internally would be too great on a hand held sized play unit I suspect. I hear old tank gyroscopes are fun play things though.
                    I used to have a "Powerball" but I think the Lebrechaun stole it.
                    (or more likely CM chucked it in the bin when I wasn't looking...)

Comment

Working...
                    X