• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beards and shaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beards and shaving

How come whenever you see a medieval or ancient film (Robin Hood, King Arthur, 300) etc the vast majority of people are clean shaven (including the
    women). I haven't shaved for a week I look like EOs avatar.

When you see images of cavemen they all have bushy beards. So how come everyone else since is clean shaven. How did everyone shave???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

They had blades in medieval times and I'm fairly sure they had rudementary mirrors (or perhaps they just used water for reflections) so I guess that's how they shaved. Henry VII is always depicted with a nicely trimmed beard.

Comment

Them Chileans came up clean shaven, I doubt that went unnoticed by the compo assessor.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have been told, by a couple of women friends, that I suit a beard. But I can never stand having one for more than a few weeks as it irritates the life out of me!
        And latterly I have noticed that there is more than a hint of grey appearing in it also.................which is far from ideal unless you want to look like a badger.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          How come whenever you see a medieval or ancient film (Robin Hood, King Arthur, 300) etc the vast majority of people are clean shaven (including the

When you see images of cavemen they all have bushy beards. So how come everyone else since is clean shaven. How did everyone shave???
          They had someone else shave them. It helped prevent lice, easier to treat face wounds, and made wearing a helmet more bearable.

Norman soldiers shaved the back of their heads, and wrapped a kind of bandage round their head before donning their helmet. So you can imagine
          how hot and scratchy it would have been with a beard too!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I think as these films, weren't actually filmed in the time they are set, but rather the 20/21st century, they did have access to shaving equipment. Probably you wouldn't be able to recognize any of the stars if they were all sporting beards.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              They had someone else shave them. It helped prevent lice, easier to treat face wounds, and made wearing a helmet more bearable.

Norman soldiers shaved the back of their heads, and wrapped a kind of bandage round their head before donning their helmet. So you can imagine
              how hot and scratchy it would have been with a beard too!
              But shaved with what?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Razors have been around since the bronze age... although I think they only had 1 blade on them
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

The ancient Romans were clean-shaven. They saw it as a mark of civilization that set them above the barbarians that they conquered.

They didn't shave themselves though, they would get a barber to do that.

Comment

Wilkinson sword.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X