• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Child Benefit cuts could be unenforceable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Benefit cuts could be unenforceable

The problem being: How can the government easily prove the connection between mothers who are not themselves higher-rate taxpayers and the higher-rate taxpayers they might live with? It’s easier to stop the mother getting the benefit if she herself is a higher-rate taxpayer. It could be done via her tax code. But if she’s not, how good will the government be at establishing whether she is living with a partner paying tax at 40%?

Link

How would I (as a non perm) KNOW I will always be in the higher rate tax bracket?

I don't actually claim CB, because I didn't actually realise that it was a benefit for all, when my son was born.

Seems this policy could cost more than it actually saves?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I don't actually claim CB, because I didn't actually realise that it was a benefit for all, when my son was born.
    DOH!!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'm pretty sure the HMRC database has my address on it.

Surely joining the addresses of CB claimants with the HMRC DB would be an easy place to start?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        The problem being: How can the government easily prove the connection between mothers who are not themselves higher-rate taxpayers and the higher-rate taxpayers they might live with? It’s easier to stop the mother getting the benefit if she herself is a higher-rate taxpayer. It could be done via her tax code. But if she’s not, how good will the government be at establishing whether she is living with a partner paying tax at 40%?

Link

How would I (as a non perm) KNOW I will always be in the higher rate tax bracket?

Seems this policy could cost more than it actually saves?

Claim CB now Mary. You pay for it via your taxes. And also make sure you get nursery vouchers etc.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Claim CB now Mary. You pay for it via your taxes. And also make sure you get nursery vouchers etc.
          Aye, if it's going, claim it. Nobody should ever refrain from claiming anything they are able to get away with. They have no problem demanding money from you with the threat of violence if you don't comply so don't feel guilty for having some of it back.

This whole thing is a major clusterfrack. I think the plan was for it to be a preemptive strike. If they had not done anything then the left would go about moaning about 'the rich' getting child benefit. Now the whole plan is falling apart.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Aye, if it's going, claim it. Nobody should ever refrain from claiming anything they are able to get away with. They have no problem demanding money from you with the threat of violence if you don't comply so don't feel guilty for having some of it back.

This whole thing is a major clusterfrack. I think the plan was for it to be a preemptive strike. If they had not done anything then the left would go about moaning about 'the rich' getting child benefit. Now the whole plan is falling apart.
            I think I'm going to.

I wonder if it might be a case of "ooh it's too difficult to sort out, let's just entirely abolish CB altogether".
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
            X