• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone done Microsoft MCSD or similar recently

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone done Microsoft MCSD or similar recently

The last time I did any formal MS certification was around 2000 (MCSE) which doesn't look too good on the CV any more so i'm wanting to take some more up to date .NET/SQL MS certs to go on there.

Fancy booking and taking the Microsoft MCSD exams or similar but looking at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcsd.aspx#tab2 all the exams seem to say "Note, this exam is retired" - Anyone done one recently and what exams did they actually do?

Ta

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    The last time I did any formal MS certification was around 2000 (MCSE) which doesn't look too good on the CV any more so i'm wanting to take some more up to date .NET/SQL MS certs to go on there.

Fancy booking and taking the Microsoft MCSD exams or similar but looking at Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD) all the exams seem to say "Note, this exam is retired" - Anyone done one recently and what exams did they actually do?

Ta
    I think its called a MPD or something now.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation - I've got the MCSD from .NET v1 but nothing since, and looking to upgrade to the latest set.

What you probably want is called MCPD (closest to the old MCSD I think):
      Certified Developer | MCPD | Microsoft Certified Professional Developer

Visual Studio Certification | .NET Framework | Applications Development

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
        I think its called a MPD or something now.
        MCPD looks like.

Christ, their certification site is about as much fun to find info on as their partner.microsoft.com website, who designs the bleedin' things.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          What you probably want is called MCPD (closest to the old MCSD I think):
          Certified Developer | MCPD | Microsoft Certified Professional Developer
          Aye, that's the puppy, i'll have one of those.

Comment

I gave up on the website in the end and emailed Microsoft. Their support people are actually pretty helpful and don't talk exclusively in marketing buzzwords.

Comment

For Visual Studio and related development technologies this PDF is useful

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...0_CertPath.pdf
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Likewise I have the MCSD.Net for the .Net framework 1.1 (along with the MCDBA). While I know I learned something from the certifications, I question the longer term return on investment. I'd love to hear from anyone who actually believes these certifications are a worthwhile investment these days?

I haven't sat any MS Certs for about 5 years now and wonder whether it's worthwhile spending the time and money updating them...

Comment

Please excuse me for drifting a bit off topic.

For a business plan I have an entry about funding the certification of staff to get MC<whatever>. This is for another country who are a bit more open about their feelings regarding foreigners taking 'their' jobs. I am saying I'll provide experience and pay for the training required to bring local lads/lasses to a standard that can be useful for other local companies.

My question is: Are these certifications of any substantial use to the individual when applying for jobs, or is the benefit only marginal?
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I did a whole shed of these in my first few years working in permiedom.

All things being equal, they *may* get you a permie job over someone else at a MS gold partner as numbers help them keep gold status, which is apparently good for their business.

That being said, I would make a guess that there are more hiring managers (and I'm talking about dev here, not sure about infrastructure) who would be sceptical of someone with a load of these certs.

Experience is key, and should trump all.

If you are just starting out, then yes, maybe passing some will be useful in showing keenness to learn in the absence of years of experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X