• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should be done about kontracta Matt's broken posting bot?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should be done about kontracta Matt's broken posting bot?

kontracta Matt has been with us for 4 months and managed a few hundred posts. Almost all of these have been in The Counting Thread and Word Associations threads; there have been about 10 real posts.

The real purpose of the account is keep posting the .sig "I'll be right back after a message from my sponsors here and here" which contains two advertising links:
    • www-kontracta-com (an accountancy firm called MPC Financial Consulting Ltd) and
    • www-soletraderaccountants-com (an accountancy firm also called MPC Financial Consulting Ltd).

Now that is blatantly against the T&Cs and others have been stopped from doing that, and accountants are usually expected to identify themselves e.g. Matt@MPC_Financial.

But what really, really, really niggles me is that his posting bot that posts to The Counting Thread invariably gets the number wrong and that seriously offends my OCD tendencies.

It must be a posting bot because he's an accountant so he cannot possibly be such an utter innumerate feckwit that he can't even increment a number and get it wrong so often, Shirley?

So, FFS, can't something be done about his broken posting bot? There must be loads of free macro software that could do a better job. Presumably such things are used in testing these days so there must be a few about.

Any recommendations for him?
    Someone fix his posting bot for him
    0.00%
    Recommend better quality auto-posting software
    0.00%
    Have his .sig changed to point to [url]www.spamspamspamspam.co.uk[/url]
    16.67%
    Just delete his .sig and ban the cheeky bugger
    33.33%
    Have AndyW force feed him spam for all eternity
    50.00%
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Richard Cranium has been with us for 29 months and managed almost 10000 posts. Almost all of these have been in Test Please Delete, Counting thread or blowing his own petard.

The real purpose of the account is lost on me.

So, FFS, can't something be done about his broken posting bot? There must be loads of free macro software that could do a better job. Presumably such things are used in testing these days so there must be a few about.

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      kontracta Matt has been with us for 4 months and managed a few hundred posts. Almost all of these have been in The Counting Thread and Word Associations threads; there have been about 10 real posts.

The real purpose of the account is keep posting the .sig "I'll be right back after a message from my sponsors here and here" which contains two advertising links:
      • www-kontracta-com (an accountancy firm called MPC Financial Consulting Ltd) and
      • www-soletraderaccountants-com (an accountancy firm also called MPC Financial Consulting Ltd).

Now that is blatantly against the T&Cs and others have been stopped from doing that, and accountants are usually expected to identify themselves e.g. Matt@MPC_Financial.

But what really, really, really niggles me is that his posting bot that posts to The Counting Thread invariably gets the number wrong and that seriously offends my OCD tendencies.

It must be a posting bot because he's an accountant so he cannot possibly be such an utter innumerate feckwit that he can't even increment a number and get it wrong so often, Shirley?

WHS.

Just ban the waster.

Comment

Ban everyone who posted in this thread, that's the only way to be sure...

Comment

Instead of a public poll how about you message someone in control of the board, pointing this out and suggesting a ban?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Instead of a public poll how about you message someone in control of the board, pointing this out and suggesting a ban?

Nick Fitz's inbox is full.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The other day I noticed one poster with a post count of over 20K, whose nick just didn't register. I mean how the heck can someone make so many posts and remain so inconspicuous, unless they're all in that stupid counting thread or something?

I reckon a lot of it has to do with the name itself. If you choose some boring non-descript name like xy34, you're more anonymous and easier to overlook.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Now banned and sig changed - thanks RC

Would ban the IP as well but looks to be from a home user's ISP and a dynamic IPs that other real users have connected from.

I don't think this is that automated, could be wrong I guess, but this is not like the usual xrumer spam I see. I think you have just spotted, and helped blow away, a fair chunk of someone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Nick Fitz's inbox is full.
                  Cheeky chunt

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    The other day I noticed one poster with a post count of over 20K, whose nick just didn't register. I mean how the heck can someone make so many posts and remain so inconspicuous, unless they're all in that stupid counting thread or something?

I reckon a lot of it has to do with the name itself. If you choose some boring non-descript name like xy34, you're more anonymous and easier to overlook.
                    Did it begin with sas? Seen the odd one about from someone with a name like this but can never remember what any of them are about.

Comment

Working...
                    X