• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was I over-cautious?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was I over-cautious?

Walking home last night along a sparsely populated part of the Harrow Road, I passed a bloke at a bus stop speaking into a mobile. He looked like a foreign visitor although without any baggage. He approached me and said "one second please?" holding out his mobile for me to take and listen to.
    At this point I shook my head, quickened up my pace and made sure he wasn't following. My reasoning being this could have been a distraction mugging - while I grasped the mobile he'd have lunged for my wallet, or pulled a weapon..
    Of course it could equally have been a tourist lost in London, trying to tell his friend on the mobile where he was situated. My judgement at the time was since he didn't have luggage, and the use of the expression "one second please", that the situation was too dodgy. Did I let down someone in need?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Walking home last night along a sparsely populated part of the Harrow Road, I passed a bloke at a bus stop speaking into a mobile. He looked like a foreign visitor although without any baggage. He approached me and said "one second please?" holding out his mobile for me to take and listen to.
    At this point I shook my head, quickened up my pace and made sure he wasn't following. My reasoning being this could have been a distraction mugging - while I grasped the mobile he'd have lunged for my wallet, or pulled a weapon..
    Of course it could equally have been a tourist lost in London, trying to tell his friend on the mobile where he was situated. My judgement at the time was since he didn't have luggage, and the use of the expression "one second please", that the situation was too dodgy. Did I let down someone in need?
    You doofus.

Bloke offers you his mobile and you decline. You could have had it away with his phone! What model was it?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      You doofus.

Bloke offers you his mobile and you decline. You could have had it away with his phone! What model was it?
      Heh, it wasn't a Iphone or a modern web-enabled type mobile. Another sign I probably registered...
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

It might have been someone in need but you can't take the chance. He could have gone to a police station or in to a shop to get help.
        Don't worry about it.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Remind me again why London is such a great place to live?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Remind me again why London is such a great place to live?
            'Cos you get bus stops AND buses.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I passed a bloke at a bus stop speaking into a mobile. He looked like a foreign visitor. He approached me and said "one second please?" holding out his mobile for me to take and listen to.

Did I let down someone in need?
              His wife had just been kidnapped and he was calling 999 to explain what happened and had got to the "And where exactly are you?" question.

He was in the final of the Japanese series The British Are OK Really and all he needed to win was find someone who would use his camera phone to take his picture.

He had called London Transport Enquiries to find out which bus stop he needed to visit his dying twin brother at the hospital and he did not understand so they asked him to pass the phone to a passer-by to help him.

He was trying to report in a fire starting at a famous London landmark but could not explain where Rroyds of Rondon in Rime Stleet was and needed help from a rocar.

He was a foreign journalist seeking the opinion of the Great British public on an important national affair, such as the Chinese attitude toward the Tibet or whether we are OK with our government starting illegal wars in our name or secretly assassinating government experts.

He was a foreigner in distress and help with something and had finally plucked up the courage to ask what he thought was a friendly-looking stranger to help him in his time of need. But he thought wrong.

Or he was just yet another chancer in that awful unholy hell-hole we call London. Where the Good Samaritan would be sued for getting involved.
              Last edited by RichardCranium; 30 October 2010, 20:45.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The stranger had rigged his phone to play that weird sound from the Ipcress Files.

Once you were in a trance, he would say "Now listen carefully. Hand over your wallet .."
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Even if he was in need, he should have more nouse than to approach a stranger at night. He will realise that, so no harm done.

If he was not in need , then you avoided an avoidable situation, well done. again no harm done.

99% of people who get worked over will start their account with 'Suddenly....'
                  You bought yourself a bit of space, dont feel badly about that

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You just need to use your judgement in such situations. 90% of people who stop you in London just want to take money off you, by various imaginative means.

I always get a similar sense of surprise when tourists give me their camera so I can take a picture of them. "Are you mad? I could be anybody!" Maybe I just give off "crap thief" vibes.

Comment

Working...
                    X