PDA

View Full Version : Are IT Contractors Paid Too Much

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 11:47
This was discussed yesterday night and I generally avoid discussing topics about money but it got me thinking

What other industry allows people to earn >£600 a day on a 12 month contract and with opportunities to work weekend as well.

I ask a genuine question because I ve been thinking how fortunate we all are.

What other industry allows this sort of salary to accrue and do you think contractors are paid too much

HairyArsedBloke
30th October 2010, 11:49
Clippy, I think that this proves you right. :laugh

pmeswani
30th October 2010, 11:50
This was discussed yesterday night and I generally avoid discussing topics about money but it got me thinking

What other industry allows people to earn >£600 a day on a 12 month contract and with opportunities to work weekend as well.

What other industry allows this sort of salary to accrue and do you think contractors are paid too much

If you are not happy as a contractor in the UK, then, basically, b*gger off back to whatever hole you came from and allow us who are happy with the insecurities of being a contractor earn the money we do.

HTH

:winker:

MarillionFan
30th October 2010, 11:51

Doctors, Solicitors, Accountants, Footballers, Police Inspectors, Pilots, Brokers, Financial Managers, Air Traffic Controllers, Heating Engineers, Plumbers, Electricians

Need I go on...

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 11:54
Clippy, I think that this proves you right. :laugh

Right about what?

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 11:54
If you are not happy as a contractor in the UK, then, basically, b*gger off back to whatever hole you came from and allow us who are happy with the insecurities of being a contractor earn the money we do.

HTH

:winker:

What a strange creature you are - This is a discussion forum - When did i say I was not happy.

I asked for peoples view - Go back to Mummy and cry

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 11:55
Doctors, Solicitors, Accountants, Footballers, Police Inspectors, Pilots, Brokers, Financial Managers, Air Traffic Controllers, Heating Engineers, Plumbers, Electricians

Need I go on...

Footballers yes - But Air Traffic Controllers earning 160K and able to regulate their income using a LTD

Honestly I do nt think you mean this

MarillionFan
30th October 2010, 11:56
Footballers yes - But Air Traffic Controllers earning 160K and able to regulate their income using a LTD

Look it up.

DimPrawn
30th October 2010, 12:31

How Wayne Rooney could score multi-million pound tax cut – Telegraph Blogs (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ianmcowie/100008411/how-wayne-rooney-could-score-multi-million-pound-tax-cut/)

Clippy
30th October 2010, 12:32
Right about what?

You being a pain in the arse (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60405-breaking-into-finance-2.html), joey.

Pondlife
30th October 2010, 12:35
Look it up.

Benefits - NATS Air Traffic Controllers Careers (http://atcocareers.co.uk/pages/air-traffic-controllers/benefits.html)

91K as a max potential salary. Not to mention the pressure.

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 12:37
Benefits - NATS Air Traffic Controllers Careers (http://atcocareers.co.uk/pages/air-traffic-controllers/benefits.html)

Exactly - And no LTD tax shelter either. Sometimes people forget just how lucky they are

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 12:38
You being a pain in the arse (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60405-breaking-into-finance-2.html), joey.

You are a clown Clippy

Admin : Please do the needful and ban clippy - And cut his dinosaur tail off on the way out

Oh go on then, since you asked so nicely.

MarillionFan
30th October 2010, 12:41

So Air Traffic control is in the top 10 careers in the UK.

Number 1 is CEO/Director of a LTD company. Effectively Air Traffic Control pays more than it's IT Equivalent.

Where DA is talking bollocks is, he is getting confused between 'IT Contractor' and 'Director of a LTD Company'. Plenty of plumbers, builders, electricians who operate as self employed will be making a mint as well.

The OP's question is incorrect. His £600 per day rate (160k) per year quote refers to that of the LTD company, not his salary. He is clearly confused between permanent, self employed and company director.

The correct question should be 'Are Company Directors overpaid?'

gingerjedi
30th October 2010, 12:42

What percentage of contractors do you think earn 160k? You'd need to land a top rate and keep off the bench for a full 12 months.

'Contractors' is also a catch all, 95% of techie contractors are probably on no more than £300 per day, and most of them on sub £200. Personally I've earned £600 in total as a contractor in 2010.

So no, I don't think contractors earn too much.

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 12:53

Number 1 is CEO/Director of a LTD company. Effectively Air Traffic Control pays more than it's IT Equivalent.

Where DA is talking bollocks is, he is getting confused between 'IT Contractor' and 'Director of a LTD Company'. Plenty of plumbers, builders, electricians who operate as self employed will be making a mint as well.

The OP's question is incorrect. His £600 per day rate (160k) per year quote refers to that of the LTD company, not his salary. He is clearly confused between permanent, self employed and company director.

No i m not confused at all - Like you i know that one man band IT contracting at one 'client' is a tax sham

You really are not going to argue with a straight face its not

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 12:56
What percentage of contractors do you think earn 160k? You'd need to land a top rate and keep off the bench for a full 12 months.

'Contractors' is also a catch all, 95% of techie contractors are probably on no more than £300 per day, and most of them on sub £200. Personally I've earned £600 in total as a contractor in 2010.

So no, I don't think contractors earn too much.

Maybe I ve been disillusioned by working in finance but I am seeing LOTS of contracts in London for >550 for basic skills like SQL, VBA blah blah

I ve been contracting now for 18 months solid with not one day holiday and working some weekends as well

My peer group are doing the same - So holding a 12Month contract is really not that difficult

DeludedAussie
30th October 2010, 12:58

The difference between plumber and electrician is they will see 20 clients a day and they really have no gurantee of work

IT contracting is at one client for years and every day you have a solid 10 hour job

MarillionFan
30th October 2010, 13:00
No i m not confused at all - Like you i know that one man band IT contracting at one 'client' is a tax sham

You really are not going to argue with a straight face its not

Why is it a tax scam?

As a contractor, some contracts are short, some long. You find yourself benched, you may find yourself with more than one client, you don't get paid sick, you don't get holiday, you don't get benefits, you don't get paid training, you don't get pension benefits.

It is a misnomer, that a 160K LTD turnover is the norm. It isn't. Polls on this very site show it. Contractors should get additional tax benefits, it allows for a flexible working population with dynamic skilled individuals able to plug gaps. That risk taking mentality should be rewarded. LTD companies and existing legislation allow us to be rewarded. Not as much as before, but IR35 scares the bejesus out of most and has reset contracting to a dynamic few as opposed to the risk avoidance gravy train it had become.

So straight faced, it's not. Your wrong.

Oh and btw, if you don't already know. Don't try and troll me again it's a one way street to a master class.
HTH

MF

MarillionFan
30th October 2010, 13:02
Maybe I ve been disillusioned by working in finance but I am seeing LOTS of contracts in London for >550 for basic skills like SQL, VBA blah blah

I ve been contracting now for 18 months solid with not one day holiday and working some weekends as well

My peer group are doing the same - So holding a 12Month contract is really not that difficult

And so you will be within IR35. So you're take home should be less than half. If you're avoiding using a brolly or LTD, you have already broken the first rule and you're definitely up for an Inland revenue pull.

Clippy
30th October 2010, 13:05
You are a clown Clippy

Admin : Please do the needful and ban clippy - And cut his dinosaur tail off on the way out

Ooh, hark at him. So when your'e not masquerading as a woman (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/55447-murex-3-1-vs-mxg2000.html) you pretend to be an Aussie. :laugh

The creepy thing is, Chloe Radshaw is probably someone you've worked with before.

Pathetic little troll.

d000hg
30th October 2010, 17:02
It says he's banned... is there any thread in particular we can see the gory details?

HairyArsedBloke
30th October 2010, 17:09
:rollin:

Zippy
30th October 2010, 17:42
It says he's banned... is there any thread in particular we can see the gory details?

Oh dear, there goes another one. :)

d000hg
30th October 2010, 17:45
Wot.

Clippy
30th October 2010, 17:47
:yay:

d000hg
30th October 2010, 17:49
Miss one day on CUK and there's some in joke going on. Yawn.

SueEllen
30th October 2010, 18:34

No joke.

He frequently gets banned and comes back again under another username asking the same/ similar stupid questions.

MarillionFan
30th October 2010, 18:37

Oh do please keep up at the back there! Yes! YOU! DOOGIE!!!!

PAY ATTENTION!!!!!

cojak
30th October 2010, 18:57
You are a clown Clippy

You only missed it because you didn't bother reading the whole thread.
:rolleyes:

d000hg
31st October 2010, 09:27
Saying stupid things and being accused of being a sockie are a bannable offence now? How is anyone left... ;)

MarillionFan
31st October 2010, 09:33
Saying stupid things and being accused of being a sockie are a bannable offence now? How is anyone left... ;)

Admin. Please ban the poster above.

Thx

MF

cojak
31st October 2010, 09:34
Nah, it wasn't that serious; I only banned him for 2 days. He'll be back tomorrow.

CheeseSlice
31st October 2010, 09:49
You are a clown Clippy

Bob is that you?

Troll
31st October 2010, 11:14
You only missed it because you didn't bother reading the whole thread.
:rolleyes:I read the whole thread and saw nothing worthy of a ban :confused:

d000hg
31st October 2010, 12:51
Admin. Please ban the poster above.

Thx

MFAsking to get someone banned should result in a ban. Please ban MF.

Oh, hang on...:eyes

AtW
31st October 2010, 12:54
Asking to get someone banned should result in a ban.

WHS - don't temp yer fate! :mad

Troll
31st October 2010, 13:42
Asking to get someone banned should result in a ban. Please ban MF.

Oh, hang on...:eyesI think the whole banning model needs some clarification, especially in the expansion of the amount of admins on here ( was easier with just ferret) -

What you have to do to get a temp ban (and duration) - a sort of tariff

What would result in permanent ban

Does a permanent ban also result in sockies being banned

Is there an appeal process?

so many questions!!

AtW
31st October 2010, 13:53
What you have to do to get a temp ban (and duration) - a sort of tariff

What would result in permanent ban

Does a permanent ban also result in sockies being banned

Is there an appeal process?

so many questions!!

Add to the list:

* What it takes to earn parole?

* Is there a pardon?

MarillionFan
31st October 2010, 14:32
Add to the list:

* What it takes to earn parole?

* Is there a pardon?

It's fairly simple. If you create work for Admin to do then you get a slap.

AtW
31st October 2010, 14:45
It's fairly simple. If you create work for Admin to do then you get a slap.

Also don't say things like "I wish that thread was closed and deleted" in TPD :eyes

aussielong
31st October 2010, 23:18

It's fair compo! You are selling your precious time. If you are 25 this is OK, you get some decent cash and can have a good time on it. If you are 35 and still on the tools, this is soul destroying. The good rates are compensation for working in an industry that is being screwed from the top down and the bottom up. By the way, i'm doing similar work to you, but i'm getting 800/day. I'm going to ask for 900/day next time I move. That's still not enough compo for my precious time spent working with jokers, pokers, chokers and cokers.

CheeseSlice
31st October 2010, 23:25
It's fair compo! You are selling your precious time. If you are 25 this is OK, you get some decent cash and can have a good time on it. If you are 35 and still on the tools, this is soul destroying. The good rates are compensation for working in an industry that is being screwed from the top down and the bottom up. By the way, i'm doing similar work to you, but i'm getting 800/day. I'm going to ask for 900/day next time I move. That's still not enough compo for my precious time spent working with jokers, pokers, chokers and cokersjokers, smokers and midnight tokers.

:spel

Sorry, I saw Steve Miller on the TV last week :D

d000hg
31st October 2010, 23:43
One Aussie banned, another pops up?

MaryPoppins
1st November 2010, 09:02
i'm getting 800/day. I'm going to ask for 900/day next time I move. That's still not enough compo for my precious time spent working with jokers, pokers, chokers and cokers.

Hmm. I suspect that translates as roughly £160 per day.

Bunk
1st November 2010, 10:15
Also don't say things like "I wish that thread was closed and deleted" in TPD :eyes

Ban him :tantrum::tantrum:

norrahe
1st November 2010, 10:34
Hmm. I suspect that translates as roughly £160 per day.

His next sockie will be on 1k per day, it seems to go up with every new one he has. :eyes

kandr
1st November 2010, 10:41

Paid too little, IT in the world today is of massive importance and contractors rates should be double what they were 10 years ago, not less.