• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to 2007

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to 2007

The return of sub-prime.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    From the ******** article:

"Figures today from the Bank of England revealed that net new mortgage lending (not including redemptions and repayments) in September was £112m, down from £1.62bn in August. "

Comment

We say 'overlooked by the high street'
      which, coincidentally, also describes the type of compact, grotto-style, Luxcrete-aspect dwellings that these mortgages will now make available.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        AIUI the original sub-prime problem wasn't so much the dodgy lending per se, but that this was hidden and disguised within portfolios of supposedly sounder loans, the financial equivalent of mixing radioactive waste with household refuse.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          AIUI the original sub-prime problem wasn't so much the dodgy lending per se, but that this was hidden and disguised within portfolios of supposedly sounder loans, the financial equivalent of mixing radioactive waste with household refuse.
          That was exactly what the problem was, except it was radioactive waste with the household shopping. However, the article seems to be about sub-prime mortgages themselves, not their wrappers.

If banks want to take the risk, I hope its only small institutions like Kensington and Precise, we don't bail them out if it goes tits up.

Comment

Indeed.

The John Bird and John Fortune piece on it is still the best explanation that I have seen going. linky (It is SFW but not if work does not like YouTube)

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            If banks want to take the risk, I hope its only small institutions like Kensington and Precise, we don't bail them out if it goes tits up.
            Absolutely.

There is nothing wrong with lending money to higher risk customers provided that everyone involved is aware of the risk they are taking. If it all goes tits up then the taxpayer should not be bailing them out.

Comment

I seem to remember linking to something that explained it quite well... and indeed I did

Comment

Working...
              X