• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the UK doomed to pro-longed decline?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the UK doomed to pro-longed decline?

Where can we be world-beaters? We may have had decent scientists, engineers, inventors in the past, but I see no reason why other countries can't do better than us now. We don't have the natural resources, nor the driven-population that could extract us from the mire. Our costs are high, and our infra-structure is creaking at the seams. So, what's going to save us? The only natural advantage we currently have, from where I'm looking, is the English language.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

We could have a far more successful tourist industry than we have.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Well, there is always me!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
        Where can we be world-beaters? We may have had decent scientists, engineers, inventors in the past, but I see no reason why other countries can't do better than us now. We don't have the natural resources, nor the driven-population that could extract us from the mire. Our costs are high, and our infra-structure is creaking at the seams. So, what's going to save us? The only natural advantage we currently have, from where I'm looking, is the English language.
        There is no way to stop the trend, empires rise and fall. The West is on the way down, the East is rising. China has a long term plan, you need to work out how it is going to play out, and stay as much ahead of the curve as you can.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Isnt it interesting the way the question is framed ? its all about being top of the tree, being economically successful

I want to be top of the tree and economically successful by the way. I just wondered for a momemt, why did I leap there without it being explicitly mentioned

is this what its all about ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It may have been on QI where Stephen Fry said the happiest nations were not the richest, but societies where wealth was evenly distributed. Who cares if we get poorer, as long as we all get poor together? That may be the next challenge.

Comment

Stephen Fry is not known for sound rationale. He also thinks women don't actually enjoy sex, they just put up with it and pretend.

Then again, he might be right... how would we men know?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Stephen Fry is not known for his rationale. He also thinks women don't actually enjoy sex, they just put up with it and pretend.
                He was quoting some study or other, and we know how good they are. I may have seen it in his book that I flicked through in the shops yesterday though. Getting poorer could be great as long as it's done across the board. You never know, we might even be able to afford looking after the old and sick again. And buy a house.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  He was quoting some study or other, and we know how good they are. I may have seen it in his book that I flicked through in the shops yesterday though. Getting poorer could be great as long as it's done across the board. You never know, we might even be able to afford looking after the old and sick again. And buy a house.
                  To avoid living like a medieval small-holder with a similar lifespan, you can't afford not to have a competitive economy.

To have that, you've got to allow the people who run successful bits of it to make good money, otherwise they won't bother or they'll go elsewhere.

To do that you are no longer getting poor across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    To avoid living like a medieval small-holder with a similar lifespan, you can't afford not to have a competitive economy.

To have that, you've got to allow the people who run successful bits of it to make good money, otherwise they won't bother or they'll go elsewhere.

To do that you are no longer getting poor across the board.
                    so we have to say near the top of the tree, just to avoid slipping to the bottom ?

there is no graceful, in betweenie state ?

we have to keep fighting like fck ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X