PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Monday

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 06:44
Since both my Happy Monday thread (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60346-happy-monday.html) failed and my miserable Monday attempt (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/60550-miserable-monday.html) also failed, with another negative reputation hit, maybe this is more in keeping with the mood.

:ind MONDAY. LIKE, MEH. :ind

The weather's just getting greyer. Like what's left of my hair.

The economy's not going anywhere. But then, nor am I.

The changing of the clocks was the highlight of the weekend.

Feel a bit, you know, can't be arsed but going to. Would take a sickie but need the money.

Another week of faffing and putting up with and getting on with.

Whatever.

Could have a bacon roll, but it probably won't be worth it.

Still, it could be worse. I suppose. Don't wanna think about it, really.

This cold makes my finger joints a bit stiff. Never mind. It won't matter when we're all dead.

Oh well. Better get on with it. 'Cos no other bugger will.

<sigh>

First of the month. I suppose that means I ought to change my password. And cock up my roaming profile. Again.

Sod it. I'll log on to CUK and :ladybags: somebody's day for them. That'll cheer me up.

It usually does.

mudskipper
1st November 2010, 07:32
My first Monday down under has just finished. Twas definitely a mediocre affair - the users I was supposed to be training either weren't there or were in meetings. Just as well as I could barely focus due to tiredness, let alone string a meaningful sentence together. Peeing down with rain out there. Not living up to expectations so far, although I did spot the Sydney Harbour bridge in the distance.

House I'm renting is nice, although there is a spotlight in the bedroom that I can't turn off. Letting agent not answering the phone. Good job I kept the eye mask thing from the 'plane.

Killing time before conf call with UK, then fried egg sandwich (about all the corner shop could turn up) and bed.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Sysman
1st November 2010, 08:07
House I'm renting is nice, although there is a spotlight in the bedroom that I can't turn off. Letting agent not answering the phone. Good job I kept the eye mask thing from the 'plane.

I'd have probably ripped the spotlight out on the first night. But it does remind me of a pad I rented which had an ensuite bathroom. The fan worked either permanently on or on for a long delay after you had turned the light out, so you couldn't tell immediately where it was at. It took me a good week to fathom that.

Mich the Tester
1st November 2010, 08:21
A mediocre morning to you all! I'm sitting in a mediocre train feeling moderately hungry, but as there's no catering I'll have to wait until I reach the Hague (Europe's most mediocre capital city) and then go to a mediocre cafe and have a bite to eat.

Things to look forward to today;
- grey overcast weather
- mediocre coffee
- meetings with users about test cases
- meeting with sys admin about test environment
- mediocre CUK
- laptop battery about to die

Not very exciting.:ind

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 08:31
Even this thread has a mediocre tag. "bedwetter2". Very poor attempt, very poor. :ind

mudskipper
1st November 2010, 08:34
I'd have probably ripped the spotlight out on the first night. But it does remind me of a pad I rented which had an ensuite bathroom. The fan worked either permanently on or on for a long delay after you had turned the light out, so you couldn't tell immediately where it was at. It took me a good week to fathom that.

I tried bashing it with a shoe. It's recessed, so not apparent how to get the bulb out. It's one of a pair that seem to be remote controlled - the other goes off, but this one doesn't. Will get agent onto it tomorrow.

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 08:44
I tried bashing it with a shoe. It's recessed, so not apparent how to get the bulb out. It's one of a pair that seem to be remote controlled - the other goes off, but this one doesn't. Will get agent onto it tomorrow.And it's over the bed? Uh-hu. :eyes

What was the letting agent's web address? Was it www.camgirlflats.com (http://www.camgirlflats.com) NSFW ? :tongue

BlasterBates
1st November 2010, 09:04
Well it is grey here today as well...but we have a Rockabilly gig lined up for next week, so there's the excitement of learning some new stuff.

Like this rather interesting instrumental from the Ventures:

YouTube - The.Ventures - Bumble Bee Twist (live in Japan 1966) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n87RX_zMCCA)

I really am tempted to go the whole hog and put together a Ventures cover band.

The Ventures are just flipping great:

:music:

alreadypacked
1st November 2010, 09:37
My first Monday down under has just finished. Twas definitely a mediocre affair - the users I was supposed to be training either weren't there or were in meetings. Just as well as I could barely focus due to tiredness, let alone string a meaningful sentence together. Peeing down with rain out there. Not living up to expectations so far, although I did spot the Sydney Harbour bridge in the distance.

Killing time before conf call with UK, then fried egg sandwich (about all the corner shop could turn up) and bed.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

How long are you down under for?

alreadypacked
1st November 2010, 09:40
A mediocre morning to you all! I'm sitting in a mediocre train feeling moderately hungry, but as there's no catering I'll have to wait until I reach the Hague (Europe's most mediocre capital city) and then go to a mediocre cafe and have a bite to eat.

Things to look forward to today;
- grey overcast weather
- mediocre coffee
- meetings with users about test cases
- meeting with sys admin about test environment
- mediocre CUK
- laptop battery about to die

Not very exciting.:ind

I liked the Hague when I worked there, I could stay on the tram after work and have a cocktail on the beach at sunset fab. :glasses

Ok not the time of year for it currently.

shaunbhoy
1st November 2010, 09:52
I liked the Hague when I worked there, I could stay on the tram after work and have a cocktail on the beach at sunset fab. :glasses

I too liked The Hague, but I was there in the winter..............and it was freezing. Running along the seafront at Scheveningen in January is not for the faint-hearted!!

:eek

TimberWolf
1st November 2010, 09:54

What happened to that place you built in Goa (or perhaps it was some where else in India)?

alreadypacked
1st November 2010, 09:57
What happened to that place you built in Goa (or perhaps it was some where else in India)?

Heading to Goa in January :glasses

I will have the usual problem getting a business visa form the f*#king cow at the Indian embassy.

norrahe
1st November 2010, 10:19
Grey, foggy, cold and nowt on jobserve.

TimberWolf
1st November 2010, 10:19

I will have the usual problem getting a business visa form the f*#king cow at the Indian embassy.

You work out there too? In IT?

shaunbhoy
1st November 2010, 10:24

They probably have a Skills Shortage..........after all.........anyone from India who can even SPELL I T is over here plugging our gaps!!

:tantrum:

Mich the Tester
1st November 2010, 10:28
They probably have a Skills Shortage..........after all.........anyone from India who can even SPELL I T is over here making new bugs!!

:tantrum:ftfy

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 12:38
I've just noticed my rep has gone down again ... and again! ... for this thread.

You pair of gits! :tantrum:

sasguru
1st November 2010, 12:44

Noticed you didn't answer the question, oh big property owner.
:laugh:laugh:laugh

alreadypacked
1st November 2010, 12:49

Yes, I have worked out there for the winter for the last few years. May have a contract with a Dainish company for a few months. Hopefully I will manage 1K a day :D

alreadypacked
1st November 2010, 12:51
Noticed you didn't answer the question, oh big property owner.
:laugh:laugh:laugh

I thought the "The heading to Goa in January" was an answer.

d000hg
1st November 2010, 13:49
I've just noticed my rep has gone down again ... and again! ... for this thread.

You pair of gits! :tantrum:"Should be listened to" is one of the higher rep levels I thought, what were you before all these Monday threads?

shaunbhoy
1st November 2010, 13:50
I thought the "The heading to Goa in January" was an answer.

Alas, not one couched simplistically enough for sasguru's primitive comprehension detectors to analyse properly.

:laugh

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 13:56
"Should be listened to" is one of the higher rep levels I thought, what were you before all these Monday threads?I was down to a "makes sense" but someone out there loves me :hug: so I'm back up to a "should be listened to". Yesterday I was further up the list of "should be listened to"s with only a few "should be listened to"s between me and the two "knows their stuff"s. I'm now 19th.

HTH

d000hg
1st November 2010, 14:28
Hmm, where do you view those stats. Sounds like a wind-up to me. All I can see is I've 94 points.
:tumble:

shaunbhoy
1st November 2010, 14:32
Hmm, where do you view those stats. Sounds like a wind-up to me. All I can see is I've 94 points.
:tumble:

Well that would "make sense". You should listen to me!

:wink

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 14:35
:tumble:Suit yourself. :rolleyes:

d000hg
1st November 2010, 14:36
I was SBLT for a few days. Now every rep in my recent list is red :)

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 14:42
And as for the person who contributed "How low can we make his rep go down?",

. :moon:
:music:

Mich the Tester
1st November 2010, 14:43
May I suggest we start tomorrow with a 'Tedious Tuesday' thread?

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 14:54
May I suggest we start tomorrow with a 'Tedious Tuesday' thread?:spel Testing Tuesday, Shirley?

Mich the Tester
1st November 2010, 14:55
:spel Testing Tuesday, Shirley?

Well alright, as long as we follow up with 'What's the point of Wednesday?'

alreadypacked
1st November 2010, 14:57
:spel Testing Tuesday, Shirley?

You need to get your finger out RC, it looks like Mich is going to get to 10K before you.

RichardCranium
1st November 2010, 14:57
Well alright, as long as we follow up with 'What's the point of Wednesday?'Or a weekly 'Wilmslow Wednesday'?

minestrone
1st November 2010, 14:58
I had the skitters all night, probably after the plate of sambal prawns, and when going to the toilet in the dark managed to break my toe kicking the TV stand as I was running past.

d000hg
1st November 2010, 15:02
Suit yourself. :rolleyes:You can have my up-vote if you prove you're not making it up :ind

edit: D'oh

HairyArsedBloke
1st November 2010, 15:13
The good think about this week is that the septics are still on daylight saving.

This means that I finish an hour earlier at 8pm rather than 9pm. I think I'll have a pint tonight. :banana:

Where I am/was based in the Caribbean they don't do daylight saving so the markets would close at 3:15 local (equity futures) time. If I didn't have anything I was working on there was a grave danger that I would wander down to one of the bars. By the time that ex-mrs HAB caught up with me between 6:30 and 7pm I'd be well into teaching septic cruse passengers the words to the Philosophers Drinking Song. Yes, she did catch us doing that once; she did not find it funny.

mudskipper
2nd November 2010, 02:31
How long are you down under for?

Three weeks. You around for Circular Quay CUK drinkies?

aussielong
2nd November 2010, 02:38

I'll be up for that, i'm 5 minutes away from the quay.

mudskipper
2nd November 2010, 08:18
I'll be up for that, i'm 5 minutes away from the quay.

Cool, I've not actually made it that far yet - got evening conf calls to fit in.
How about Thurs? I'll start a thread in 'Events'

Melbourne cup today. Entire office gathered in boardroom for champagne and nibbles whilst IT guy fiddled with laptop and projector and failed to get it to show. A few of us left and listened on the radio. All a bit of an anti-climax really!

alreadypacked
2nd November 2010, 08:26

I am not due down under until next year. Still have Egypt and India on the way. Not sure how long the India contract is for.