• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silverlight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverlight

Question to those who are using Silverlight: what do you make of this new development relating to Silverlight: Microsoft Surrenders Silverlight to HTML5 on Cross-Platform Front

It's been a while since Microsoft pulled such classic tulip if you ask me...

One can only hope that .NET/C# are safe

Dunno, but I know you it means you can't read the Sky News site unless you turn on that stupid thing that sticks a stupid little keypad in the way every time you bring up UAC.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Question to those who are using Silverlight: what do you make of this new development relating to Silverlight: Microsoft Surrenders Silverlight to HTML5 on Cross-Platform Front

It's been a while since Microsoft pulled such classic tulip if you ask me...

One can only hope that .NET/C# are safe
      Well, it has failed to gain any market share, everyone uses flash or javascript for dynamic web stuff, (except SKY Player pile of junk). Maybe with HTML 5 we will see a unified standard for multimedia on the web, no more plugins, everything built into the browser (including Iphones).

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Dunno, but I know you it means you can't read the Sky News site unless you turn on that stupid thing that sticks a stupid little keypad in the way every time you bring up UAC.
        From Firefox on Windows:

Content Encoding Error
        The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

* Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

"You are watching Sky News Live with Sky Player" - no I'm not, I'm looking at a black box with an "Install Silverlight" logo in the top left.

You'd think Sky could have gone to the trouble of centring the logo, given that they're about the only company that uses Silverlight

Heaven only knows why Microsoft thought the world was in need of another proprietary plugin technology. Still, they've never shown the slightest understanding of anything to do with the web, so it was probably to be expected that they'd do something dumb like that. Presumably once Windows Phone 7 fails the whole thing will just disappear for good.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            "You are watching Sky News Live with Sky Player" - no I'm not, I'm looking at a black box with an "Install Silverlight" logo in the top left.

You'd think Sky could have gone to the trouble of centring the logo, given that they're about the only company that uses Silverlight

Heaven only knows why Microsoft thought the world was in need of another proprietary plugin technology. Still, they've never shown the slightest understanding of anything to do with the web, so it was probably to be expected that they'd do something dumb like that. Presumably once Windows Phone 7 fails the whole thing will just disappear for good.
            Exactly, MS have a certain syndrome, where, when they see something successful they try and copy it (usually making a right arse of it).

Flash -> Silvertulipe
            Java -> .NET
            Iphone -> Kin\Windows Phone 7
            Google -> Bing
            Playstation -> XBox

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
              Flash -> Silvertulipe
              Java -> .NET
              Iphone -> Kin\Windows Phone 7
              Google -> Bing
              Playstation -> XBox
              The arrow is pointing the wrong way on two of those.

Actually, ignore me, I read the > as a "better than" rather than "MS's version of".

Glad I never bothered learning silverlight though!
              Last edited by Durbs; 2 November 2010, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                The arrow is pointing the wrong way on two of those.

Actually, ignore me, I read the > as a "better than" rather than "came from".

Glad I never bothered learning silverlight though!
                Me too, all those poor Silverlight experts.

Comment

I'd actually started to look at it properly too with a view to porting one of my iPhone apps to Win Phone 7 so that announcement is very timely indeed. Be sticking to an HTML 5 version now.

Comment

They aren't half having a whine at Bob Muglia over on the Silverlight Team blog:
                    "We have almost completed the prototype phase of a million dollar development project and the statements made have placed significant doubt on the project continuing and made my company look foolish to my client..."
                    "I've been building a website over the past 2 years that incorporates 20,000+ lines of Silverlight on the client side (and yes, it really does need to be that complex.). I've been completely trusting Microsoft's commitment to this platform, but I'm now very very worried indeed. I've just spent all weekend learning GWT..."
                    "I've been flooded with Silverlight development opportunities lately. Things were really taking off, and it looked like my future was secured. When my phone stops ringing and I end up in the unemployment line I hope you're standing right behind me Bob..."

...and there was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth

Comment

Working...
                    X