• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nuisance PPI phone calls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuisance PPI phone calls

On my landline for over 3 weeks I've been getting automated calls from the "PPI Claims Survey" (0161 850 0356). There seems no way to stop their machine from ringing up. (The landline is ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service.)

For the past week I've also been getting them on my mobile, this time from an Indian call centre who ask for Mr mumble-mumble and then go into their sales spiel about Payment Protection Insurance. They are ringing up a number of times a day and driving me potty. Again, there seems no way to stop them ringing.

(It's like the Bad Olde Days of British Gas phoning every hour to get ClientCo to switch to them, despite ClientCo being on a trading estate with no gas service to it.)

a) Is it just me, or is everyone being subjected to this unstoppable tulipe?

b) Should there be a law that anyone who buys anything off a cold-caller should be summarily executed?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 2 November 2010, 08:08.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

If you hang on to the end is there no option to press 1 and prevent further calls? Some of these nuisances seem to have been pressured into doing this recently.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      On my landline for over 3 weeks I've been getting automated calls from the "PPI Claims Survey" (0161 850 0356). There seems no way to stop their machine from ringing up. (The landline is ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service.)

For the past week I've also been getting them on my mobile, this time from an Indian call centre who ask for Mr mumble-mumble and then go into their sales spiel about Payment Protection Insurance. They are ringing up a number of times a day and driving me potty. Again, there seems no way to stop them ringing.

(It's like the Bad Olde Days of British Gas phoning every hour to get ClientCo to switch to them, despite ClientCo being on a trading estate with no gas service to it.)

b) Should there be a law that anyone who buys anything off a cold-caller should be summarily executed?
      Ask him what colour underwear he's wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Discovered ZeitPater talking to some twat in an Indian call centre the other day.

They were attempting to get him to transfer to a different electrickery supplier.

This came to a rapid conclusion once I got hold of the phone.
        Ye gods! I thought you sprang fully formed from a volcano.

Comment

It's 2010, use a mobile, skype or email.

Comment

(a) Not just you, I'm being plagued by them
            (b) Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              If you hang on to the end is there no option to press 1 and prevent further calls? Some of these nuisances seem to have been pressured into doing this recently.
              For the automated one, yes. It says to press "8". Press "8" and the call is cut off. Then they ring back...

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Ask him what colour underwear he's wearing.
              For the call centre one, I have tried saying they have the wrong number, asking them to not call back, screaming abuse, begging them to stop calling me and hanging up. Then they ring back...

Originally posted by kandr View Post
              It's 2010, use a mobile, skype or email.
              The automated one is on the landline. The call centre is ringing the mobile. Never heard of email spam?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

For the automated one, yes. It says to press "8". Press "8" and the call is cut off. Then they ring back...

For the call centre one, I have tried saying they have the wrong number, asking them to not call back, screaming abuse, begging them to stop calling me and hanging up. Then they ring back...

The automated one is on the landline. The call centre is ringing the mobile. Never heard of email spam?
                Spam filter does a good job for 99% of spam. Can you not block certain numbers with your mobile? (or landline).

Comment

Spam filter does a good job for 99% of spam. Can you not block certain numbers with your mobile? (or landline).
                  Most of the automated ones don't send their number (callers number withheld) so asking your telephone provider to block all calls where the number is withheld goes a long way of stopping nuisance calls.

Comment

99.17% in the case of K9 for my most recent 59,619 emails.

The call centre ringing the mobile does not come up with a number.

For the landline, that is a service I would need to buy.

Comment

Working...
                    X