• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

Government set to allow convicted prisoners to vote:

Convicted prisoners will get the right to vote, the government is expected to announce later this week. Five years ago the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled the UK's ban on inmates voting was unlawful. The government has been advised that continuing to resist the ruling would lead to compensation payouts costing millions of pounds.

"All prisoners can do is riot, if they've got a complaint, so you've got to give them this legitimate channel to bring their issue in."

Those around Mr Cameron say he's "absolutely horrified" by the idea of changing the law but reluctantly accepts there is no alternative.
    Well? Right or wrong?
    Every criminal - in prison or not - should lose the right to vote for life
    5.41%
    Every criminal - in prison or not - should lose the right to vote for a period
    2.70%
    Re-offenders should lose the right to vote for life
    2.70%
    Prisoners should lose the right to vote for life
    5.41%
    Prisoners should lose the right to vote for the duration of the sentence
    29.73%
    Prisoners should lose the right to vote while in prison
    16.22%
    Only serious offence prisoners should lose the right to vote while in prison
    5.41%
    Prisoners not being allowed to vote is a bit random
    5.41%
    It is important prisoners opinions get heard
    8.11%
    Prisoners should be forced to vote as part of their punishment
    5.41%
    WGAF?
    5.41%
    AndyW should not be allowed to vote, even when he gets to be 18
    8.11%
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    For some reason I can't vote in this poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      For some reason I can't vote in this poll.
      I don't think they should be allowed to vote, there crimes are punished by taking away their freedoms, and one of these is the freedom to vote.

Comment

Sutcliffe, Huntley being able too influence that nations government

another reason for the death penalty to be bought back (yup I'd make it retrospective)
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Sutcliffe, Huntley being able too influence that nations government

another reason for the death penalty to be bought back (yup I'd make it retrospective)
          I think you are onto something, we could make it a tv show, the one with the lowest votes is executed each week, and also a side vote for the type of execution.

Comment

Good poll RC, but I wonder how many of the congregation have been inside. Now that WOULD be interesting

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I don't object to letting prisoners vote. TBH I think it´s a side issue in a much bigger problem, which is how best to deal with those who have committed crimes, so as to protect the public, to get people back into an honest life and deter crime.

I really don´t mind if prisoners can vote; remember, people are convicted on the evidence as it stands, and might someday be released and declared not guilty as a result of evidence that comes to light later. I can imagine that people might be concerned at criminals voting for a candidate they may feel is sympathetic to their cause, but what if you're in prison and actually innocent? Wouldn't you rather like the right to give your vote to a candidate who promises to campaign for a review of various criminal cases?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Aren't prisoners just people who got caught? Or non-prisoners people that haven't been caught yet, perhaps because they aren't dumb enough to be caught?

BBC NEWS | Education | Many inmates 'have very low IQs'
                Report author Dr Pat Mottram said the average IQ of prisoners was 87, while a sizeable minority had very low IQs indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Good poll RC, but I wonder how many of the congregation have been inside. Now that WOULD be interesting

Like as in spent the night in a cell or been sent down to do some time?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Like as in spent the night in a cell or been sent down to do some time?

sent daaarn, for serious criminal activity. like 4 week porridge or more

p.s. dont be , we all spent a night in a cell. well most of us

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X