• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House hunting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House hunting

For rent - checked like 6 local apartments today, ffs - they charge £700-800 and despite good location landlords can't be arsed to paint over stuff to get premium feeling FFS, booked 3 more viewings tomorrow - 1 "luxury" apartment and 2 houses, nearly £1000 per month

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    For rent - checked like 6 local apartments today, ffs - they charge £700-800 and despite good location landlords can't be arsed to paint over stuff to get premium feeling FFS, booked 3 more viewings tomorrow - 1 "luxury" apartment and 2 houses, nearly £1000 per month
    Why not buy a house? Sure they may drop hugely in value, but that still might be a better investment than money.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Why not buy a house?
      This time next year, until then I wish to live in a house where hot water works in bathroom even if someone turns on taps in kitchen...

Comment

This time next year, until then I wish to live in a house where hot water works in bathroom even if someone turns on taps in kitchen...
        Are you sure Sterling won't be toast by then?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Are you sure Sterling won't be toast by then?
          Exactly - Whatever they say, inflation is bound to shoot up in the next few years.

If you can possibly afford it, Alexie, I'd definitely buy now, and the inflation will erode your debt in no time.

(I know he won't listen )
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is 1000 rubles per month

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Exactly - Whatever they say, inflation is bound to shoot up in the next few years.

If you can possibly afford it, Alexie, I'd definitely buy now, and the inflation will erode your debt in no time.

(I know he won't listen )
              Inflation only erodes debt if wages/pay/profit rise at the rate of inflation. I can't see that happening, if anything pay is falling. We aren't seeing inflation we are seeing stagflation and borrowing money in such a situation is idiotic.

http://www.miseryindex.us/

Comment

Ahhhhh! Bless.

I'm looking for some more investment property, do you want me to get somewhere for you?

Now, there would have to be some ground rules

1. You pay the rent in cash and tell no-one
                2. Don't call me during the day or weekend if you have any problems. The damp is because you're cooking too much pasta and not opening the window. The mould is because you don't change your underpants regularly
                3. No wild parties or group gatherings
                4. No walking around in chiffon dresses and stockings
                5. No pets. Dead or alive!
                6. No bringing back girlfriends (I include hookers in that, unless it's on of my girls at which point rule 1 kicks in again)
                7. No going in the attic and FFS don't dig up the patio.

PM me if you're interested

HTH

MF The Landlord
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Inflation only erodes debt if wages/pay/profit rise at the rate of inflation. I can't see that happening, if anything pay is falling. We aren't seeing inflation we are seeing stagflation and borrowing money in such a situation is idiotic.

The United States Misery Index
                  True, for a discretionary debt. But AtW is saying the rental for a decent property costs a grand a month or something, and that will probably rise somewhat with inflation.

So I still maintain he may as well bite the bullet and take the pain for a several years, especially as interest rates are so low and likely to remain so for that time.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Real inflation in our, albeit very good area: unfurnished good sized 3 bedroom house cost £600 to rent when I moved to Birmingham in 2003, but right now it seems one has to pay £900-1000 to get the same.

So that's 50% over 7 years.

Me -

Landlords:

I might be forced to get a couple of ddg Eastern European female lodgers to afford such overinflated prices

Comment

Working...
                    X