• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Times celebrates disappearing readers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Times celebrates disappearing readers

Nice Mashesque headline from the Register: Times celebrates disappearing readers - The Register

Assuming some duplication, the papers reckon this gives them a paying digital audience of about 200,000. Back in January 2009 the sites were pulling in 22.9 million monthly users.
    Getting The Times readers to fish out their wallets might not be impossible, but Rupert Murdoch has also promised to make readers of The Sun cough up to look at its website, which might be a little tougher. Murdoch moved The News of the World behind a paywall just over two weeks ago

But has there been a physical increase?

I do read the Sun website each morning. Stopped with the NOW plus don't buy the paper either. Newspapers bundle up the entire celebrity offering, that will start to die out. I ain't payi g to read about a reality star!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      But has there been a physical increase?

I do read the Sun website each morning. Stopped with the NOW plus don't buy the paper either. Newspapers bundle up the entire celebrity offering, that will start to die out. I ain't payi g to read about a reality star!
      It's gone from 22.9 million monthly users to 200,000, so I would say no*

*Although I don't know, or care enough to know, if these two figures can be compared except for comedy value

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        It's gone from 22.9 million monthly users to 200,000, so I would say no*

*Although I don't know, or care enough to know, if these two figures can be compared except for comedy value
        Physical. As in the actual physical newspaper. Not the online users.

Comment

But what will we do for the News in Briefs?

Let Murdoch stick his publications behind a paywall - I really can't see it paying. If I want to read the Times I buy the paper and if it is shit: I can do the puzzles.
          I don't read the Sun, obviously.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Physical. As in the actual physical newspaper. Not the online users.
            Pass. Do you think some of the 21 million that used to read it on-line have resorted to buying it (the hard copy)?

Comment

So you have to look at all of the revenue streams here

Physical Newspaper
              Advertising

What's the portfolio effect?

Comment

So you have to look at all of the revenue streams here

Physical Newspaper
                Advertising

What's the portfolio effect?
                An interesting word, 'portfolio'. It essentially means 'folded paper'. A newspaper is a folded sheaf of papers. An artist's portfolio is a large piece of card folded around their drawings or paintings. An investment portfolio is the same but with share certificates, deeds, IOUs, bonds etc. within it.

And now it is a 'container' for 'revenue streams' (where 'stream' is also being twisted beyond its intentions) for digital media.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  An interesting word, 'portfolio'. It essentially means 'folded paper'. A newspaper is a folded sheaf of papers. An artist's portfolio is a large piece of card folded around their drawings or paintings. An investment portfolio is the same but with share certificates, deeds, IOUs, bonds etc. within it.

And now it is a 'container' for 'revenue streams' (where 'stream' is also being twisted beyond its intentions) for digital media.
                  Actually, it's sales channels that tends to get used.

Comment

Actually, it's sales channels that tends to get used.
                    Their on-line advertisers must be rubbing their hands in glee

Comment

Working...
                    X