• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What did internet forums ever do for us?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did internet forums ever do for us?

I was just thinking that afterall, all internet forums (not specifically criticising this one) are mainly a big waste of time and that's it.

After all the purposes that we go for suddenly are revealed false:

1) Knowledge - it's just the same old 3 or 4 people to tell all they think they know over and over. No need to verify arguments with data since they know it's all correct. A pity that you can find everything and the opposite of everything so it's difficult to understand what is correct or not. In general, there are several specalised blogs/website which do have a lot more information and often much more accurate and verified

2) Friendship - I have never really become a real friend with anybody on the forum - we exchange emails from time to time and that's it (with the exception of Ajp who was in Rome in the same period but that's more of an exception and anyway with all the time spent here I would have got a lot of friendship outside). Sure that might be possible but in any case it's a very ineffective way to build friendships.

3) Relax - most of the time debating on internet forums is no relaxing at all as many people will try to cover you with dirt or ridiculize you or simply have some fun to fill their shallow lives

Anybody feels that mine is a misperception and that in reality they managed to gain a lot from internet forums? Or is simply just an addictive substance like nicotine that you keep thinking you need but in reality you don't really, you are simply addicted to it.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Dunno, but the Romans taught us the plural of forum is fora.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      I believe they also taught us that to be a pedant was not a particularly good thing
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        I was just thinking
        That took you some years

Comment

You're right in that it's not real life but as long as you view it as such there's no harm done.

Certain forums are just that, a forum for similar thinking individuals to exchange ideas and discuss topics of interest. Or for people who need advice on a subject to get it. Nobody ever found CUK by googling "AtW's housing advice" or "DP's tips on winning the lottery".

AFAIK, your posting history would show that you don't feel the need to start a thread for your every waking thought - you seem to post mainly about the state of the market for contractors etc... This is the whole point of the site, no?

I'm not having a pop, I just don't understand the point you're making especially since you've taken the time to post it on a forum rather than discussing with your mates over a bottle of red.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
            I believe they also taught us that to be a pedant was not a particularly good thing
            Wrong. The origins of 'pedant' are Greek, not Latin.

Loser (Old English.)

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
              Originally posted by AtW View Post
              That took you some years

Loser (Old English.)

Sorry, I retract my last post. You're right.... it's pointless.

Comment

Loser (Old English.)

hth
                Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                  I was just thinking that afterall, all internet forums (not specifically criticising this one) are mainly a big waste of time and that's it.

After all the purposes that we go for suddenly are revealed false:

1) Knowledge - it's just the same old 3 or 4 people to tell all they think they know over and over. No need to verify arguments with data since they know it's all correct. A pity that you can find everything and the opposite of everything so it's difficult to understand what is correct or not. In general, there are several specalised blogs/website which do have a lot more information and often much more accurate and verified

2) Friendship - I have never really become a real friend with anybody on the forum - we exchange emails from time to time and that's it (with the exception of Ajp who was in Rome in the same period but that's more of an exception and anyway with all the time spent here I would have got a lot of friendship outside). Sure that might be possible but in any case it's a very ineffective way to build friendships.

3) Relax - most of the time debating on internet forums is no relaxing at all as many people will try to cover you with dirt or ridiculize you or simply have some fun to fill their shallow lives

Anybody feels that mine is a misperception and that in reality they managed to gain a lot from internet forums? Or is simply just an addictive substance like nicotine that you keep thinking you need but in reality you don't really, you are simply addicted to it.
                  Too much navel gazing, that's your problem.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Too much navel gazing, that's your problem.
                    Hey say something that I can at least look up in the dictionary or, as EO would say, I will turn japanese (meaning I will say something that doesn't make any sense in japanese to you so that you also feel uncomfortable too)
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X