• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Outage in the North

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Outage in the North

We've lost comms to all our sites north of Cumbria. Anyone else having comms issues oop north?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

which might mean no they aren't, or yes they are.

Comment

Just came back a few minutes ago.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

El Reg

According to ADSL24, BT is blaming the latest problems on an unnamed hardware vendor.
        Shall we have a sweepstake on which hardware vendor?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Our BT link was down this morning in Bucks.

Comment

I've had problems the last few days. When I was able to connect, it was at low speed but was unable to use the web or mail most times.
            I was an hour on the telephone to my ISP (Thus helpdesk in India) trying to explain I had already rebooted my PC, checked drivers etc and it was definitely the ADSL side of my CPE that was dropping before they bothered to tell me there was an issue in t'north affecting many of their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman View Post
              I've had problems the last few days. When I was able to connect, it was at low speed but was unable to use the web or mail most times.
              I was an hour on the telephone to my ISP (Thus helpdesk in India) trying to explain I had already rebooted my PC, checked drivers etc and it was definitely the ADSL side of my CPE that was dropping before they bothered to tell me there was an issue in t'north affecting many of their customers.
              Don't you just love Bob call centres?

Comment

yes there was!

apparently mostly sorted now

came in the middle of our 21CN rollout grrrrr users blaming project naff all to do with project

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Don't you just love Bob call centres?
                  When I was doing NMC work on global networks, dealing with overseas call centres was just part and parcel of the job, but at that time they were only dealing with parts of the network in their own country. With the higher margin B2B call centres and NMCs there were better standards of English and higher calibre people at the end of the line than in contemporary B2C call centres for low margin services.

I don't like it but B2C callcentres in the developing countries is the price we pay for competitive commoditised services. I've been with my ISP for 15 years and I can't be bothered changing ISP, e-mail addresses to change to an ISP which has UK call centres.

The ISP first line people hang up when it is too difficult for them or if when there' a digression from the flowchart. I'd no idea what the first guy was saying, he talked like a machine gun, two others disconnected the call when I asked if they had visibility of the DSLAM.

I'd be a hypocirite if I said the ISP call centre people were taking UK jobs because I interviewed at Thus many years ago but didn't take the job because it was in an industrial estate on the outskirts of Glasgow. I'm more concerned at development and IVV&T work going overseas.

I finally got my ISP-supplied router set up though, with the help of the last guy I spoke with, who spoke very good English. They had sent it out with the wrong config.
                  At least they don't make up UK sounding first names now. That used to really get on my goat

Comment

Working...
                  X