• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever been in a proper fight?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been in a proper fight?

Inspired by discussion towards the end of this thread I wondered about peoples' real-life experience fighting for fun, self-defence, etc.

I have never got into a situation of having to fight anyone and I reckon that's probably not unusual for white middle-class folk. But a few here have some stories to tell, why not re-tell them here?

Poll coming of some sort, but stories are more fun.
    Never more than a playground scuffle
    40.00%
    I have had one fight ever
    10.00%
    A few, but very rarely
    36.67%
    I don't view fighting as unusual
    3.33%
    I beat AndyW with my cane
    10.00%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Inspired by discussion towards the end of this thread I wondered about peoples' real-life experience fighting for fun, self-defence, etc.

I have never got into a situation of having to fight anyone and I reckon that's probably not unusual for white middle-class folk. But a few here have some stories to tell, why not re-tell them here?

Does being beaten up count?

Comment

I would disagree that its unusual for middle class people not to get into fights. Maybe ones that run away from confrontation but cowards are common in all classes.

Comment

I must have been about 15 ish, and I was going to the public baths in Bootle. Balliol baths. As I got off the 28 bus, a gang of lads from school got off, we were the same age and on nodding terms, so we all walked along together.
        They were out for aggro, and half of them wore steelies. Steel toe capped working boots. One of the lads was a bit boisterous, there was a thwack, he was on the ground. Then a crunch as a steelie caught him full on in the lower jaw. Blood squirted everywhere, his lip and face split in a line, and his broken teeth were falling through the split, just above the chin.
        we walked on and left him in a massive pool of blood and snot.
        I thought 'if they do that to their mates, what will they do to their enemies'
        So a fight, to me, is a situation that is life threatening, not a bust up or a barney, and yes, I have been in a dozen or so over the years. Undefeated, because I am too blooming terrified to lose.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There was a chap here on CUK who'd been in a dogfight over former Yugoslavia in a Tornado; all very scary I hear, ended after he spilt his Spag Bol on his lap.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Does being beaten up count?
            I suppose it does.

Originally posted by kandr View Post
            I would disagree that its unusual for middle class people not to get into fights. Maybe ones that run away from confrontation but cowards are common in all classes.
            So it's cowardly to avoid fights? Or sensible?

Comment

I suppose it does.
              Count me in, then.

Comment

I suppose it does.

So it's cowardly to avoid fights? Or sensible?
                If you can follow through and have a chance of winning then sensible (even if you then get beat up, at least you tried, and had some chance), if you throw a swing and then proceed to wet your pants (ala SY) then its not sensible nor brave.

Comment

If you can follow through and have a chance of winning then sensible (even if you then get beat up, at least you tried, and had some chance), if you throw a swing and then proceed to wet your pants (ala SY) then its not sensible nor brave.
                  I've always it's better to run away and not get hurt than to win a fight and get a bit hurt. I also have a bit of a suspicion that men who like fighting with other men really just want to have sex with other men, but are too repressed to express it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I've always it's better to run away and not get hurt than to win a fight and get a bit hurt. I also have a bit of a suspicion that men who like fighting with other men really just want to have sex with other men, but are too repressed to express it.
                    Mich likes rugby, which is sort of half-way in-between fighting and shagging. Mich, comment?

Why is it sensible to fight someone, even if you know you'll win? What do you hope to achieve?

Comment

Working...
                    X