• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizon; Asteroids

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizon; Asteroids

Saw this last night, quite enjoyable; watch it here if you've missed it.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2010-2011, Asteroids - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I had it on in the background but it was so drawn out that I missed the important details about small asteroids being more of a threat. They could have condensed the whole thing into a couple of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I had it on in the background but it was so drawn out that I missed the important details about small asteroids being more of a threat. They could have condensed the whole thing into a couple of minutes.
      I would have thought the bigger the asteroid that hits the earth, the more damage, but then I am basing it on physics of our universe.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
        I would have thought the bigger the asteroid that hits the earth, the more damage, but then I am basing it on physics of our universe.
        I didn't watch the program, but I'd assume that whilst the above is true, the greater risk from smaller asteroids is due to the fact that there are many more small asteroids floating about the place than there are those of earth-destroying proportions...
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

The big asteroids seem to have been identified, and the chappies who track them are confident that none are going to hit earth any time soon. But there was an interesting bit about a small asteroid that exploded over Sudan in 2008; it was spotted only 20 hours before it hit earth. Trouble with small asteroids is that you can´t see them coming, but when they hit they can cause immense damage as they explode above the ground; the shockwave from the explosion hits the ground and sends extremely powerful winds in all directions, so strong they can pick up a house and dump it hundreds of kilometers further up. The two well known hits by small asteroids are Tunguska in Siberia in 1908, and Sudan in 2008; both happened in very sparsely populated areas, luckily.

Comment

If you want to learn something interesting about orbital mechanics, try Googling "orbital resonance". Not only interesting for planetary formation reasons, but in the creation of integers from a continuum too. Not just integers from nowhere, but special ratios of integers too. Quantum mechanics has a similar thing where quanta arise from a continuum. You just can't avoid those darned integers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
              I didn't watch the program, but I'd assume that whilst the above is true, the greater risk from smaller asteroids is due to the fact that there are many more small asteroids floating about the place than there are those of earth-destroying proportions...
              But surely the smaller ones burn up in the atmosphere?

Comment

Usual dumbed down BBC Horizon.

Asteroids are rocks, some are big, some are small, the big ones are easier to spot, so the small ones are more dangerous as we won't have much/any warning that one is about to hit a major city.

There you are, why do they need an hour to tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                  But surely the smaller ones burn up in the atmosphere?
                  By small they meen a few hundred meters across, rather than several km.

They have a tendency to explode in the atmosphere.

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Usual dumbed down BBC Horizon.
                    Well at least it was more interesting than yet more politics, eco-bloody-nomics or financial markets and that kind of boring crap.

Just thought I'd get a slightly nerdier thread going to amuse the science geeks among us.

Sorry,

Comment

Working...
                    X