PDA

View Full Version : Beating Shaun to it...

d000hg
4th November 2010, 17:38
BBC News - Oldest person Eugenie Blanchard dies at age of 114 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11696236)

French nun Eugenie Blanchard, certified as the world's oldest person, has died at the age of 114 on the French Caribbean island of Saint-Barthelemy.

On Saint-Barthelemy, she was known for giving out sweets to children.

she acquired the nickname La Douchy - a Dutch Creole word for sweets - from the tactic she used to draw children into Bible readings.

"She would offer the children sweets, saying 'douchy, douchy', and the name stuck," nephew Daniel Blanchard said.

It was a more innocent time, when clergy could offer sweets to children without being accused of slipping them a Finger of Fudge.

TimberWolf
4th November 2010, 17:44
I wonder how common 114 will be when we are in our 80s and 90s.

AtW
4th November 2010, 17:55
Yet another evidence that shaunbhoy is a loser :eyes

d000hg
4th November 2010, 18:06
I wonder how common 114 will be when we are in our 80s and 90s.Isn't life expectancy dropping though?

EternalOptimist
4th November 2010, 18:07
Isn't life expectancy dropping though?

yours is

d000hg
4th November 2010, 18:08
yours isYour mum.

DimPrawn
4th November 2010, 20:31
BBC News - Oldest person Eugenie Blanchard dies at age of 114 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11696236)

It was a more innocent time, when clergy could offer sweets to children without being accused of slipping them a Finger of Fudge.

A time when boys wanted enter the priesthood, rather than the other way round....

shaunbhoy
4th November 2010, 20:39
Yet another evidence that shaunbhoy is a loser :eyes

Oh yes.................a searing indictment right enough..............muppet!!
:eyes

d000hg
4th November 2010, 20:51
Oh yes.................a searing indictment right enough..............muppet!!
:eyesHappy as I am to agree with the sentiment AtW expressed, I have to agree with you that he's not actually making sense.

shaunbhoy
4th November 2010, 20:52
Happy as I am to agree with the sentiment AtW expressed, I have to agree with you that he's not actually making sense.

No change there then!!

:laugh

TykeMerc
4th November 2010, 21:14
Happy as I am to agree with the sentiment AtW expressed, I have to agree with you that he's not actually making sense.

It would be a major novelty if he ever did (or provided any entertainment come to that).

I don't see how it's any sort of competition to post an interesting link first.

shaunbhoy
4th November 2010, 21:19
I don't see how it's any sort of competition to post an interesting link first.

I don't get why d000hg imagined that I might be first to post any link relating to some ancient penguin shuffling off her mortal coils!!