• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foods invented in the wrong country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foods invented in the wrong country

We know pizzas and hamburgers come from New York. Chicken Tikka Massala is a Brit invention. I now hear that Creme Brulee was invented in Cambridge. What more?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

The doner kebab (as we know it, i.e. elephant's leg in pitta bread) is German apparently:

The man who invented the doner kebab has died - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      We know pizzas and hamburgers come from New York. Chicken Tikka Massala is a Brit invention. I now hear that Crème Brulee was invented in Cambridge. What more?
      It seems crème brulee wasn't invented in Cambridge
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

But I was in Cambridge when I invented the McUccino.

This is a McDonald's vanilla milkshake with 2 espresso shots added.

Brilliant as a pick-me-up after early morning rowing practice.

Comment

The earliest recorded instance of cooked minced beef served in a sesame seed bun was the invention of a Chinese imperial princess in the 1800s.

Edit: I hope I haven't started something here, but the comment above is actually true. No, it did not go from Imperial China to the USA, but the Chinese Imperial court was dishing up all manner of weird food and that concoction (minced cow, squashed, in bread with sesame seeds on it) was thought up by one of the Emperor's daughters. It was documented at the time - damned if I can find a link now, though.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 7 November 2010, 10:21.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Burritos are not Mexican, they orginate in from Southern US.

Haggis isnt Scottish it actually originates from Ethiopia.

Wikipedia won't back me up here.

Comment

Many years I was told that Chop Suey was invented in San Francisco, but I was cruelly deceived: it originated in the Taishan district of Guangdong Province.

Mind you, to be authentic, it really ought to contain offal

Comment

The Cornish pasty was in fact invented by the Byzantine empire in 452 and swapped for tin with the indigenous population.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Chile Con Carne was invented in San Antonio, Texas. According to wikipedia.
                  Which is miles from Chile.
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

And why is Minestrone an Italian soup when he's meant to be a Scottish poster??

Comment

Working...
                    X