• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LSE outage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSE outage

London Stock Exchange problem was network change mix up

The two-hour disruption experienced by the London Stock Exchange's Turquoise multilateral trading facility (MTF) this week was the result of an error by a contractor when making a small network change, according to a source close to the company.
    Except the same kind of problem happened in the early 2000's (test systems being pointed at production systems). You would have thought they had learned from that earlier episode. Evidently not.
    Last edited by Sysman; 6 November 2010, 22:27.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Except the same kind of problem happened in the early 2000's (test systems being pointed at production systems). You would have thought they had learned from that earlier episode. Evidently not.
    Get the CVs in, there will be a few roles available.

Comment

Contractor takes the fall. Nothing to see here.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Riiiiiight.

So no issue with people's access rights then? No internal security policy issues?

No problems about a lack of a robust design?

No problems with processes & procedures?

No problems with problem detection and resolution?

Just a dodgy contractor. Fancy that.

Still, I suppose it's a step forward from "a computer error".
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Own up, which one of you was it?

Comment

Any Bobs at the LSE?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You would have thought they had learned from that earlier episode. Evidently not.
              A financial crash happens not long after the last person who remembered the previous one retires.

I guess the same kind of thing applies here.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Any Bobs at the LSE?
                Looks like it, they did the needful

Comment

oh FFS, the answer is obvious - they are trying to move away from great .NET to some Linux thingy

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Any Bobs at the LSE?
                    My thoughts exactly
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X