PDA

View Full Version : LSE outage

Sysman
6th November 2010, 22:24
London Stock Exchange problem was network change mix up (http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/11/05/243776/London-Stock-Exchange-problem-was-network-change-mix.htm)

The two-hour disruption experienced by the London Stock Exchange's Turquoise multilateral trading facility (MTF) this week was the result of an error by a contractor when making a small network change, according to a source close to the company.

Except the same kind of problem happened in the early 2000's (test systems being pointed at production systems). You would have thought they had learned from that earlier episode. Evidently not.

kandr
6th November 2010, 22:29
London Stock Exchange problem was network change mix up (http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/11/05/243776/London-Stock-Exchange-problem-was-network-change-mix.htm)

Except the same kind of problem happened in the early 2000's (test systems being pointed at production systems). You would have thought they had learned from that earlier episode. Evidently not.

Get the CVs in, there will be a few roles available.

suityou01
6th November 2010, 22:51

Contractor takes the fall. Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

RichardCranium
6th November 2010, 22:56
Riiiiiight.

So no issue with people's access rights then? No internal security policy issues?

No problems about a lack of a robust design?

No problems with processes & procedures?

No problems with problem detection and resolution?

Just a dodgy contractor. Fancy that.

Still, I suppose it's a step forward from "a computer error".

kandr
6th November 2010, 22:59
Own up, which one of you was it?

Troll
6th November 2010, 23:03
Any Bobs at the LSE?

OwlHoot
6th November 2010, 23:03
You would have thought they had learned from that earlier episode. Evidently not.

A financial crash happens not long after the last person who remembered the previous one retires.

I guess the same kind of thing applies here.

kandr
6th November 2010, 23:09
Any Bobs at the LSE?

Looks like it, they did the needful :eek

AtW
7th November 2010, 00:57
oh FFS, the answer is obvious - they are trying to move away from great .NET to some Linux thingy :mad

norrahe
7th November 2010, 01:23
Any Bobs at the LSE?

My thoughts exactly :eyes

NickFitz
7th November 2010, 03:07
Oh, thank God, you meant that LSE - what if the London School of Economics had been brought down :eek:

RichardCranium
7th November 2010, 09:59
Oh, thank God, you meant that LSE - what if the London School of Economics had been brought down :eek:I used to work in the - now demolished - office block behind the LSE Student Union bar. The council glass recycling lorry used to come round EVERY DAY to collect the empty beer bottles from the seven or so huge bins they had.

The LSE was brought down by 1pm, every day, as far as I could see!

Sysman
7th November 2010, 16:42
Oh, thank God, you meant that LSE - what if the London School of Economics had been brought down :eek:

Nobody would notice?

Troll
8th November 2010, 13:05
Any Bobs at the LSE?apparently so if the neg comment received late last night is anything to go by & dear Gupta- fyi "meh" is not an English word, I rather think you meant "me"
HTH