• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great unwashed to do manual work for benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great unwashed to do manual work for benefits

Shminky

Britain's long-term unemployed could be forced to carry out compulsory manual work or risk losing their welfare benefits under plans being put forward by the government, newspapers reported on Sunday.

The U.S.-style scheme would see the long-term jobless ordered to take up four-week placements in order to get them used to having a full-time job.

The idea is part of major reforms, due to be unveiled this week, to make cuts to Britain's huge welfare bill, reduce dependency on benefits and weed out those earning money but not declaring it, papers said.

"What we are talking about here is people who have not been used to working having both the opportunity and perhaps a bit more of a push as well, to experience the workplace from time to time," Foreign Secretary William Hague told BBC TV.
    I see problems with this. Can you really expect people to turn out, on time, and do a quality job for state handouts they have been receiving for years for doing frak all? Also, in a heartbeat you can bet the Sun will find some immigrants living in a 6 bed mansion on state handouts that are exempt from the ruling and whip people into a frenzy.

It's a good idea in theory, but I see pitfalls. What do the panel think?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I think there's some fairly enormous practical problems, like, hiring all the people that are going to be needed to organise and supervise the scheme. And then there's the potential job losses of people who currently clean the streets etc.

I agree with the principle, but it's a lot easier to say than to do. It will only really work if almost nobody does it. I.e. the cheats get found out (which I'm sure everybody would agree is a good thing), and the lazy are motivated to get off their arses and find easier jobs than this. The real danger is that the lazy instead refuse, get their benefits taken away, and start buglarising instead.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I think there's some fairly enormous practical problems, like, hiring all the people that are going to be needed to organise and supervise the scheme. And then there's the potential job losses of people who currently clean the streets etc.

I agree with the principle, but it's a lot easier to say than to do. It will only really work if almost nobody does it. I.e. the cheats get found out (which I'm sure everybody would agree is a good thing), and the lazy are motivated to get off their arses and find easier jobs than this. The real danger is that the lazy instead refuse, get their benefits taken away, and start buglarising instead.

PS : Agree with everything you said btw.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I think there's some fairly enormous practical problems
        If they don't turn up, don't do good work etc then they don't get paid (ie reduction in benefits) - just like in real job life really.

Comment

I think this is the real thinking behind the scheme.

As you say, it's fine on paper but there has to be an infrastructure to administer it which itself has to be paid for. Unless there's a 'Kapo' scheme envisaged whereby some of the more trustworthy ones are paid a few quid more to keep tabs on their fellow drones?
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I see problems with this. Can you really expect people to turn out, on time, and do a quality job for state handouts they have been receiving for years for doing frak all?
            "do a quality job"? What has that got to do with it?

This is a political act: the government showing the Great Washed that they are doing something about unemployment, benefits scroungers and other such Great Unwashed.

That is all it is for. The cost is immaterial, as is indeed any output from the workhouse attendees.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            What do the panel think?
            I think a panel is a bunch of identical short planks, all lying the same way.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I hope they don't start buglarising too early in the morning.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              If they don't turn up, don't do good work etc then they don't get paid (ie reduction in benefits) - just like in real job life really.
              Would you want to be a supervisor? Imagine the abuse and intimidation you're going to get from a bunch of workshy layabouts that are being forced to work for you. Many are going to be tempted to just tick the box, and let the troublemakers go to the pub/bookies.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                I think this is the real thinking behind the scheme.

As you say, it's fine on paper but there has to be an infrastructure to administer it which itself has to be paid for. Unless there's a 'Kapo' scheme envisaged whereby some of the more trustworthy ones are paid a few quid more to keep tabs on their fellow drones?
                That gets my vote!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Would you want to be a supervisor?
                  They should be given jobs that require only final supervision to see if job was done well or not, such work should be very strict - basically if they feck about, or don't do to the highest standard then they are out of that work and on their own - no benefits obviously.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. I think every council should have a layer of default jobs, that are always avaliable, once youv'e been on the dole for more than a month you get given one of these. If you refuse then no money. The salary equavilient to the benefit they would have received, they also get training and a chance to move up the ladder (if they are washing windows).

This way the Goverment can slash unemployment as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X