• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever hired a party on a river/canal boat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they worth the money - a good experience?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Yes, for an afternoon on the Taunton & Bridgwater Canal trip boat. In that instance I hired the boat & crew so I could have a birthday party on board. Not a noisy party, just a few hours cruising up and down the canal drinking champagne, eating cake and nibbles and watching the world go by. It was a lovely afternoon enjoyed by all.

A friend had his wedding reception (60 people?) on a riverboat on the River Tees. That went very well; the food was good and hot, there was a couple of bars, people could smoke outside - it was a good afternoon & evening.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Not a noisy party, just a few hours cruising up and down the canal drinking champagne, eating cake and nibbles and watching the world go by. It was a lovely afternoon enjoyed by all.
      Sounds just the ticket! I just hope the cost in London isn't too exhorbitant. Still, I've time to save up for the event.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Malcolm McLaren 1977

HTH
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          Sounds just the ticket! I just hope the cost in London isn't too exhorbitant. Still, I've time to save up for the event.
          Not sure you can claim for housing benefit for a barge, but give it a go.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            Are they worth the money - a good experience?
            I was on a company day out on a river boat on the Thames - open decks, disco, good food, made all the sweeter by a lovely summers evening. We met up at a lovely pub on the Thames for a few drinks before, right next to where the boat picked us up.

Think there was a hen party filled with lovely babes passing the other direction, which was pretty harsh - as there was no way of catching up with the totty after. Like wafting chocolat con curros in front of a dieting diabetic.......

The finance director took over the record decks and got a rollicking - influenced by more than a skinful.....

The best corporate day out I have had.
            Last edited by Wilmslow; 8 November 2010, 07:41.

Comment

What sort of event do you have in mind and for how many people?

Comment

Working...
              X