• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why.... do..... this....?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why.... do..... this....?

What's with the posts punctuated with ellipses (that's a series of dots .... to join, or perhaps to separate, adjacent clauses)? Why do people type that way? This is a serious question: does it perform a function not already available with normal punctuation? Or does it simply avoid the need to think about what punctation would be correct?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    What's with the posts punctuated with ellipses (that's a series of dots .... to join, or perhaps to separate, adjacent clauses)? Why do people type that way? This is a serious question: does it perform a function not already available with normal punctuation? Or does it simply avoid the need to think about what punctation would be correct?
    Oh dear...

Comment

The ellipsis is used to represent a pause or break in speech. Since on fora one is not writing formally, but nearer to the textual representation of a discussion, the use of the ellipsis becomes natural.

Unless you think otherwise...?

- - - - - - -

Also, punctuation was not taught in school for - what? 15 years? There's an entire generation out there who do not know what an apostrophe is. Expecting them to even know what symbols exist is optimistic. So they use whatever seems to work. And the ellipsis does appear a lot in marketing material so will be adopted quite easily.

However, I do not think that reason applies to CUK generally; most of us are very literate. The exceptions are always very apparent:

hi i want help with this problem agent A called me and said hes gto a gig for me and can i start monday but i am in a job so i cant start strait a way is it allright if i like just dont turn up lol xxx kthxbye
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I just tried to read that quote, it's like trying to read another language
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

So... what is the preferred approach?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I've tried to give them up... but it doesn't seem to have worked...
            There's no point... It'll just make you dotty...
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

You're all a load of .... pisstaking.....winkers......
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                You're all a load of .... pisstaking.....winkers......

You're all a load of... pisstaking... winkers...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

You're all a load of... pisstaking... winkers...

WHS

An ellipsis is usually 3 dots...

Comment

Working...
                  X