• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatching - Anyone ever had a go at this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thatching - Anyone ever had a go at this?

Just curious. Have a small area in need of repair and am toying with the idea of having a bash at it myself. Have foogled a bit and it does not look that difficult to make a half-decent, if not expert, job of a small repair job. Am loathe to get ripped off by some pretentious tosspot.
    What do the panel think?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Just curious. Have a small area in need of repair and am toying with the idea of having a bash at it myself. Have foogled a bit and it does not look that difficult to make a half-decent, if not expert, job of a small repair job. Am loathe to get ripped off by some pretentious tosspot.
    What do the panel think?
    I've vlearly been spending too much time on urbandictionary: Urban Dictionary: thatching

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I've vlearly been spending too much time on urbandictionary: Urban Dictionary: thatching
      You won that race, damn you.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

What do the panel think?
        Never done it, but I have an interesting tale.
        Stayed in a croft on North Uist a couple of years ago, and due to a misunderstanding, the owner was in the process of rethatching, while we were there. It was a minor inconveniance, so we asked him to carry on.
        It took him a week to do half the roof, and he told us a full roof would cost 3k ish (for a croft)

He had an English guy with him, a thatcher from Somerset. The deal was, they would teach each other their particular skills.

At night, if you were outside, the wind howled so loud, you could barely hear youself speak. Inside, because of the materials and the shape of the roof, you couldnt hear a thing

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What do the panel think?
          It will be much harder than you think. It's not like sweeping your few strands over your bald pate like you do every morning.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            You won that race, damn you.
            <Diabolical laughter>

Comment

Working...
            X