• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real men use real razors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real men use real razors

Whilst shaving this morning I was pondering the waste of using a five bladed razor and chucking the catridge in the bin when I'd finished with it.

I was thinking of getting an "old fashioned" double edged safety razor and using a proper shaving brush. My old fella uses a Merkur razor and a badger brush and shaving soap and swears he gets a closer shave than with the usual cartridge razor. It also seems to be a little more environmentally friendly!

Are there any real men on here who use proper safety razors who can give me a bit of honest advice? Is it worth it or will I end up cutting myself to ribbons?

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
    Whilst shaving this morning I was pondering the waste of using a five bladed razor and chucking the catridge in the bin when I'd finished with it.

I was thinking of getting an "old fashioned" double edged safety razor and using a proper shaving brush. My old fella uses a Merkur razor and a badger brush and shaving soap and swears he gets a closer shave than with the usual cartridge razor. It also seems to be a little more environmentally friendly!

Are there any real men on here who use proper safety razors who can give me a bit of honest advice? Is it worth it or will I end up cutting myself to ribbons?
    Until you get used to it you will cut yourself regularly. Compared to the old style razors the modern ones are a lot more forgiving if you don't get the angle/direction/pressure quite right.

Not sure about the environmentally friendly side. There is a lot more steel in a traditional razor blade than even the modern 5 blade ones. Does the plastic in the modern ones offset that or not?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Oh, you mean one with a razor blade in? Why not go the whole hog and buy a cut throat razor that you have to strop etc? Must be real skill in that.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Oh, you mean one with a razor blade in? Why not go the whole hog and buy a cut throat razor that you have to strop etc? Must be real skill in that.
        I don't mind cutting myself while I unlearn the normal shaving techniques but I draw the line at decapitation!

I think I'm also looking to re-macho myself and I think that using a big piece of ironmongery to shave with beats using a bit of garishly coloured plastic every morning.

I also get loads of ingrowing hairs and I'm reliably(?) informed that using a single bladed razor causes less irritation.

Comment

Yes I also use a Merkur and would agree with your old fella that it shaves smoother and closer than anything else on the market that I have tried. Initially it is a bit pricey, and it does take some careful getting used to after using a Gilette (unfortunately somewhat bloodily as well) and it's definately not a razor that you should rush with whilst using.

That said, once you get used to it, I would presume that like me you'll never go back to a crappy 5 bladed Gilette or Wilkinson Sword razor.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Looks interesting and I'll definately get one now that I've seen the razors. The Parker ones look good too - is there any specific razor (Parker/Merkur or otherwise) that you would recommend?

The Razorpit sounds like a great idea too.

Comment

This arrived this morning

Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor Chrome - £ 39.95 - free delivery available

I managed to shave reasonably successfully despite the nick to the carotid artery and I'm ging to stick with it!

The badger bristle brush it a thing of beauty too and my wife told me I smelled gorgeous with my Taylors of Old Bond street aftershave!

I am a man now.....

Comment

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
                Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor Chrome - £ 39.95 - free delivery available

I managed to shave reasonably successfully despite the nick to the carotid artery and I'm ging to stick with it!

The badger bristle brush it a thing of beauty too and my wife told me I smelled gorgeous with my Taylors of Old Bond street aftershave!

I am a man now.....
                Out of interest why did you pick this particular one out of the range available?

Comment

I learnt to shave with a "proper" razor and it did take some getting used to. I went back to one a few years ago and I found I kept cutting myself as I was so used to a) rushing and b) shaving absent-mindedly - both dangerous things to do. I lasted a fortnight before I started back with my multi-blade.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Out of interest why did you pick this particular one out of the range available?
                    I read somewhere that an adjustable one is better for beginners. If you're used to using a DE razor, you can adjust the pressure and angle instinctively but when you're not, it's easier to adjust the razor. We'll have to see how true that is...

The only real complaint I have (after using it only the once so far) is that it took me a lot longer to shave this morning. I've no doubt it'll speed up with practice.

It did make me feel much more manly though!

Comment

Working...
                    X