• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting, References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting, References

Hi Newby here

New to the contracting world, ready to take the plunge. One concern.

Are work related references required?

Do your potential emply require these ready before you get taken on board?

Hi russ,

Welcome to CUK. You might like to read the first timers info on this site, and do a search (top right) for references - there's some sticky threads in the other fora that may be of interest to you. You might find a less, erm, exuberant response awaits you in the professional fora.

Good luck.

Got any Gin and Russchian?

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      Hi russ,

Got any Gin and Russchian?
      I think he may already have drunk the gin.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oh russ

You wandered into General. At this time of night. And with my reputation.

Sit down, open the vino and prepare yourself for a meat feast - errrrm - pizza.

Ahem. Yes you need references
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Oh russ

You wandered into General. At this time of night. And with my reputation.

Sit down, open the vino and prepare yourself for a meat feast - errrrm - pizza.

Ahem. Yes you need references
          Do a couple of rounds with Zippy and you'll get the references you need and possibly a set of keys!

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post

Hi Newby here

New to the contracting world, ready to take the plunge. One concern.

Are work related references required?

Agents ask for references for one reason only, to get leads they can badger.

Never give named contacts to an agent prior to an offer. Agents will claim this is essential, but don't believe them - If a contract is genuine, they'll be willing to wait if you stand firm, and if it isn't genuine then what have you lost by refusing? (Agents regularly go to the lengths of advertising non-existent contracts for the sole purpose of garnering references from mug contractors who apply.)

Edit: Oh and they aren't "emply", they're clients.
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 November 2010, 23:27.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Agents ask for references for one reason only, to get leads they can badger.

Never give named contacts to an agent prior to an offer. Agents will claim this is essential, but don't believe them - If a contract is genuine, they'll be willing to wait if you stand firm, and if it isn't genuine then what have you lost by refusing?
              WOHS

In truth. Everytime I get a contract I never actually provide a reference. I can count on one hand the times I've been asked for a legit role.

Comment

Yep,once yout have the role (and I mean have a contract in your hand) you can think about providing references. You need to have them available but will not need to provide them all the time.

Now, who has the champers??
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  WOHS

In truth. Everytime I get a contract I never actually provide a reference. I can count on one hand the times I've been asked for a legit role.
                  Same here, on 1 finger in fact.

Anyone got some decent beer? This fridge is empty apart from some Carling and I can't stand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    Yep,once yout have the role (and I mean have a contract in your hand) you can think about providing references. You need to have them available but will not need to provide them all the time.

Now, who has the champers??
                    Any references you do supply go directly to clientco and clientco only, nothing goes to the agency.

*I'll have some fizz too please Zippy* and I think I've found their "dvd" collection, hmmmmm, interesting selection....
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X