• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down an extension do you keep it quiet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning down an extension do you keep it quiet?

A contractor mate I know if he gets offered an extension to a contract and does not want to stay any longer and turns it down keeps that fact to himself.

Apparently his wife has in the past got a tiny bit funny about the fact he has effectivley turned work down when it happened before and seems to not fully understand the reasons why he could not longer stand the place and she just sees it as 'work' and why turn it down.

He would only not take an extension for valid reasons but do you ever tell people that your contract is over as you have not accepted an extension that was offered or just say the contract finished and thats it to reduce the possiblility of getting it in the neck.

I always tell my partner if I have rejected an extension and the contracts ending but then I discuss most siutations with them but then I find i feel there is a tiny bit more extra pressure to get the next gig as soon as poss under these circumstances. I have considered not saying anything so there is not this pressure but then for some reson feel bad for this like I'm lying which is mad I know as its not really!!

Pity this is not in General. The possibilities of not discussing your err, extension with the missus are endless...

Anyway to the question at hand. I find it bizarre that you would not discuss something that affects you both so profoundly with your partner. It kind of goes against the whole concept of partnership for me.

Comment

I did think after I should have maybe put it in general, any way of moving it????

Comment

I don't discuss it with my partner in terms of a 'shall I, shant I'

I just make the decisions.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I don't discuss it with my partner in terms of a 'shall I, shant I'

I just make the decisions.
          If this were in general, I would then be able to make a suitably derisory retort.

Considering the fact so many are out of work or scared for their jobs, it's understandable to have concerns. Lots of people don't like their jobs, and get paid far less to be unhappy... but really he should man up and have an honest relationship.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
          X