• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legs hurt - run or rest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legs hurt - run or rest?

I went for the first run in months yesterday, culminating in a seriously steep hill. Today the fronts of my thighs are locked solid and very sore, ever step hurts. Everything else is fine so I am blaming the hill.
    Anyway question to those who know anything about this... better to have a rest day, or exercise them with a walk/jog/something?

Sorry Sas, not the exciting thread you requested.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Swim or cycle. Stiffness will probably last a few days. In future, don't run up the steep hill at the end of a long run, but split your training into distance runs and repeated hill runs. Hill runs are good, but you need to build up the strength gradually. Once your legs are stronger you can start combining hill and distance work again. Also, don't do the hill as the last bit; you need some gentle jogging at the end to cool down.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Plus do some stretching.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Sadly the hill is the way back to the house It's hilly where I live. I did wonder if perhaps running down the same steep hill might be to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Sadly the hill is the way back to the house It's hilly where I live. I did wonder if perhaps running down the same steep hill might be to blame.
          Running downhill is good for speed training, but very very tough on your muscles; indeed, the downhill bit might have caused the damage; you said it was the front of your legs, and the front of the thighs is what lifts you off the ground, but also stops your legs bending underneath you as you run downhill; that's an excentric contraction (muscles being stretched out while resisting the forces) and causes lots of muscle soreness. Running uphill works both front and back of the thighs and the gluteus (bum), but not excentrically; can still lead to soreness though.

Best to do some light exercises like squats and leg swings in the garden when you get home to cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Plus do some stretching.
            WHS - at least 5 minutes worth

1st ham string, touch your toes for 2 minutes and hold. Don't make any sudden like jar movements while holding.

2nd calf stretches. 30 seconds each leg.

3rd Quads.

4th on your back and bring your knees to your chest, hold for 30 seconds. (this is for you lower back and buttocks)

All the above in that order this way your working up the length of your leg.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              WHS - at least 5 minutes worth

1st ham string, touch your toes for 2 minutes and hold. Don't make any sudden like jar movements while holding.

2nd calf stretches. 30 seconds each leg.

3rd Quads.

4th on your back and bring your knees to your chest, hold for 30 seconds. (this is for you lower back and buttocks)

All the above in that order this way your working up the length of your leg.
              I should point out that stretching is based on personal experience of some people; there is no scientific evidence that stretching helps to relieve or prevent delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), and plenty of evidence that overstretching causes DOMS, AND that stretching can adversely influence intramuscular and intermuscular coordination.

Many sportspeople have now stopped stretching altogether; the official warming up and cooling down exercises that the Dutch olympic association provides to sportspeople and clubs now include no stretching at all. I've done no stretches in the last two years, but my range of movement in the most relevant areas has improved; that's due to actually exercising in the full range of movement.

Now you've said that you ran downhill, I'm pretty sure that's the main cause; uphill would sooner give you DOMS in the gluteus and possibly hamstrings (which prevent hyperextension in the knee). Either way, with hill work, start gently and end gently.
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 9 November 2010, 13:03.

Comment

d000hg, have you had your running analysed to ensure you running effectively? If you can afford it then I would strongly suggest you do so.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  d000hg, have you had your running analysed to ensure you running effectively? If you can afford it then I would strongly suggest you do so.
                  Athletics coaches are good at this; perhaps find a personal trainer with experience of athletics, or join a local athletics club.

Although all the best training and analysis in the world can't explain to me why everyone else suddenly got faster when I was about 33. They must be putting something in their tea.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    At my level, it's just a jog to counter the extreme sedentary lifestyle of working from home. Seriously, the fact we live in a 3-storey town-house is probably a major fraction of the amount of exercise I do during the day since we've so many stairs.
                    I've still just about got some youthful resilience and fitness left, otherwise I'd probably be a right lard-ass by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X