• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bush: Torture was right because it got results

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bush: Torture was right because it got results

BBC News - George W Bush claims UK lives 'saved by waterboarding'

If we didn't already, discuss?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Aside from the moral dimension, which I find quite disgusting but is probably beyond the lilmited comprehension of George Dubya Bush, I wonder how many more lives have been lost as a result of handing terrorist leaders free propaganda by torturing people.

Is there not some humane institution where GWB can be kept for the protection of himself and the world?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      All them dang terrorist damn right, yeehaa

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Aside from the moral dimension, which I find quite disgusting
        Why is it disgusting? Surely more disgusting is NOT using it and letting hundreds/thousands of people die?
        I think the only question is: Is it really effective? If we can prove that its is, then I would have no compunction in using it.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is it just a numbers game then? How many falsely accused people is it ok to torture to find one person with information?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Why is it disgusting? Surely more disgusting is NOT using it and letting hundreds/thousands of people die?
            I think the only question is: Is it really effective? If we can prove that its is, then I would have no compunction in using it.
            Drawing on your years in the forces there SAS? No, I didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Is it just a numbers game then? How many falsely accused people is it ok to torture to find one person with information?
              Well perhaps the criteria for being a torturee, to coin a word, should be set quite high. e.g. that Khalid guy, Head of operations for al Qaeda. No problem with torturing him.
              Probably not worth torturing the foot soldiers anyway.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

You can never prove it's effective, because you're trying to prove a negative; that someone would not have done something IF you had tortured him, or even that someone WOULD have done something if you had not tortured him. Impossible to prove.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  Drawing on your years in the forces there SAS? No, I didn't think so.
                  What's that got to do with anything? - we're discussing the moral implications. Try to think like an officer and not a grunt for a change.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well perhaps the criteria for being a torturee, to coin a word, should be set quite high. e.g. that Khalid guy, Head of operations for al Qaeda. No problem with torturing him.
                    Probably not worth torturing the foot soldiers anyway.
                    So after someone's already convicted, you can torture them? How do you get the confession to convict them without torturing an innocent person... that whole innocent-till-proven-guilty thing really gets in the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X