• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That was fun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was fun

My PC was only outputting beeps this morning when failing to boot-up. So I opened the case and had a peek inside. Hmm, a bit dusty. I'll give it a good clean and wiggle and press everything before I try anything else. This PC is only a year old and all my previous others have soldiered on longer than I want them. That's progress. The fans are filthy and not easy to clean and have to be taken off to do it properly, heat sink is also likely not performing optimally with that fluff on it.

Reboot. Still, just beeps. Oh dear.

Tried taking out and reseating the single ram bank I can get to. Still no good. While I had the heat-sink off I also reseated the CPU, though I gather this should really be a later stage.

So now I blame the graphics card. Having recently bought and played Call Of Duty I wonder whether the game hasn't fried the graphics card. It's a beitch to remove. They've decided to use special socket type nuts that are way too small for my car socket set. It needs a special tool. Why can't they use screws ffs? What have I got or can turn into a tool? Nothing much, way too small. Pliers. Luckily a small turn with pliers that barely grip the upper few atoms of the nuts loosens them. Phew, that could have been a ball breaker. Computer still just beeps on boot-up.

But I now have access to more ram banks and reseat them all. Success! It was RAM. And I didn't even have to reset or take out the CMOS battery, which I was reluctant to do in case it forgot what my hard disc looked like.

Put it all back together and Windows went through a long diagnosis routine and failed to find a fault, which it said it couldn't fix.

Anyway the PC needed a clean. Fine now. Might do a few backups though.

Word AutoSummarize gave me this:

"My PC was only outputting beeps this morning when failing to boot-up. Hmm, a bit dusty.

Reboot. Still, just beeps. Pliers. Success! It was RAM. Anyway the PC needed a clean."

I give my PC a degunging every 6 months or so, or when the fan starts revving up like a motorbike.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
      Word AutoSummarize gave me this:

"My PC was only outputting beeps this morning when failing to boot-up. Hmm, a bit dusty.

Reboot. Still, just beeps. Pliers. Success! It was RAM. Anyway the PC needed a clean."

I give my PC a degunging every 6 months or so, or when the fan starts revving up like a motorbike.
      That is a stunningly good summary. Apart from the last sentence.

Comment

Is that you Wilmslow?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          My PC was only outputting beeps this morning when failing to boot-up. So I opened the case and had a peek inside. Hmm, a bit dusty. I'll give it a good clean and wiggle and press everything before I try anything else. This PC is only a year old and all my previous others have soldiered on longer than I want them. That's progress. The fans are filthy and not easy to clean and have to be taken off to do it properly, heat sink is also likely not performing optimally with that fluff on it.

Reboot. Still, just beeps. Oh dear.

Tried taking out and reseating the single ram bank I can get to. Still no good. While I had the heat-sink off I also reseated the CPU, though I gather this should really be a later stage.

So now I blame the graphics card. Having recently bought and played Call Of Duty I wonder whether the game hasn't fried the graphics card. It's a beitch to remove. They've decided to use special socket type nuts that are way too small for my car socket set. It needs a special tool. Why can't they use screws ffs? What have I got or can turn into a tool? Nothing much, way too small. Pliers. Luckily a small turn with pliers that barely grip the upper few atoms of the nuts loosens them. Phew, that could have been a ball breaker. Computer still just beeps on boot-up.

But I now have access to more ram banks and reseat them all. Success! It was RAM. And I didn't even have to reset or take out the CMOS battery, which I was reluctant to do in case it forgot what my hard disc looked like.

Put it all back together and Windows went through a long diagnosis routine and failed to find a fault, which it said it couldn't fix.

Anyway the PC needed a clean. Fine now. Might do a few backups though.
          No thermal paste? I wouldn't play CoD if you put it back dry.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            No thermal paste? I wouldn't play CoD if you put it back dry.
            Oh so that's what that black sticky stuff was. It was still sticky after I reseated the CPU back on it, having previously brushed it with my shaving brush wondering what it was.

Comment

well if you can recall the different beep sequences then someone who is clever and old may remember what the POST beeps refered to and help you get to the root of the problem more quickly.

probably

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                well if you can recall the different beep sequences then someone who is clever and old may remember what the POST beeps refered to and help you get to the root of the problem more quickly.

probably
                There's no standard for beeps. I did initially have a quick search on-line but I gave that up as a bad move quite rapidly. It was two short beeps followed by a pause, repeating forever. It means RAM needs reseating (for my specification) I expect.

Comment

oh very true

Wiki Says So

I just remember the A+ ones cos I did get that exam a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X