• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forum vs real life Behaviour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum vs real life Behaviour

Nothing serious, just wondering how different is your online 'persona' to your real life (fleshy) one?

Personally I try and interact with people online as I would in person. Not just because I am worried that someone might try and sue me etc for dodgy/threatening posts, but because its the right way to be.

I don't want to have to read vulgar, abusive or threatening crap on a 'professional' website. When I need my fix of that I check out the Daily Wail etc.

Your thoughts?

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    Nothing serious, just wondering how different is your online 'persona' to your real life (fleshy) one?

Personally I try and interact with people online as I would in person. Not just because I am worried that someone might try and sue me etc for dodgy/threatening posts, but because its the right way to be.

I don't want to have to read vulgar, abusive or threatening crap on a 'professional' website. When I need my fix of that I check out the Daily Wail etc.

Your thoughts?
    In real life I am less obstinate, less opinionated and less sober.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Your thoughts?
      Ever been North of the M25?

Comment

I'm genuinely quite close to my IRL persona (or should that be, my Internet persona is quite close to me IRL).

IRL I can be a bit spiky at times, and can also be a bit of a pretentious twat at times, but I can also take people arguing the toss with me without getting too het up about it, and I think that's pretty much reflected on message forums.

Comment

On the board I post what I'm thinking.

In real life, I just think it.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Your thoughts?

Very different at work, but outside work I am pretty much the same Wimslow!

Thankfully neighbours have calmed down a lot, probably coinciding with excellent CCTV. Bunny Boiler still a problem, hoping that Friday night will get that sorted though once CM sorts me out

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Ever been North of the M25?
              Indeed I have. (live and work in Manchester)

Personally though I don't subscribe that people in the North are any more pleasant than those in the south. Although they may have more time for you.

Comment

Your thoughts?
                Same, more or less. Slightly less argumentative (part from after a few beers), and less of a tree hugging leftie than people mistake me for. And funnier, I think anyway. Oh and probably more inclined to give a couple of annoying denizens a smack if they uttered some of the abusive tulipe they come out with on here. Then again I suspect that's why they do it.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Your thoughts?
                  You don't want them, believe me.

Comment

Mostly the same, I think...
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X