• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live Q&A: A survival guide for IT graduates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Q&A: A survival guide for IT graduates

A survival guide for IT graduates with our panel of experts.
    Wednesday 10 November 2010 from 13:00 - 16:00

Possible last minute holiday destination??

Linky.

Retrain ASAP because it's only going to get worse? No good asking your university for your money back as they will be too busy laughing all the way to the bank and looking for next year's suckers.

Comment

I was wondering what route the panel members who work in IT took into your current roles? Would you recommend the same path to new graduates? Cheers Allie
      Hi Allie -
      I started in IBM HQ in Portsmouth and have done several roles - some technical, some not - and certainly not all based in Portsmouth! in the 25 years since.

My tip would be "remain flexible" - the IT industry moves very fast and the trick is to keep up with the ever-changing market - which may mean flexibility in location also.
      Vanessa Gough is professional development manager (PDM) at IBM UK

That's all you need to know kids.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Own up - who posted as SASGURU??
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          Vanessa Gough is professional development manager (PDM) at IBM UK

That's all you need to know kids.
          Yeah, just as you've become fluent in 100 dialects of Indian and been refused a visa, it's all moved to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Own up - who posted as SASGURU??
            Even better is the answer

Many people move into contracting, either enforced or by choice, by working for the company which previously employed them, is that an option for you? This enables them to get the all important references and credibility. Another route is through an agency but you have to pay for the privilege - but it's in their interest to get you work. You'll need experience as well as when you are on your own the buck stops with you, no second line of support to turn to easily. Do remember though you have to meet all your own overheads so £200/day doesn't go very far, I'd stick out for much more!

Good luck, Richard.
            Richard Seaton is from the Faculty of Mathematics, Computing and Technology at the Open University and doesn't really understand how the Agency / Contractor model really works.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I see sasguru, AndyW and Spartacus are already taken.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

I see sasguru, AndyW and Spartacus are already taken.
                Hi everyone. I've just started my first role as a 1st line support engineer and I feel confident that I'm capable of much more. I've seen other people in IT earn loads of money by contracting themselves out to big companies for as much as £200 per day. What's the best way to make the jump into this brave new world? Do I need more work experience? Do I need references? If I get a contract like this I can expect to quickly earn enough to buy that Toyota Aygo I've been eyeing up - and possibly extend the shed out back - but are there risks with this lifestyle?
                Posted by sasguru
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X