• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT rise

I'm a little surprised the imminent rise of VAT from 17.5% to 20% has garnered more news or attention recently particularly in the run up to Xmas.

Apart from a brief mention today within the context of the future general economic outlook there really haven't been any news items focused on the rise itself.

Also, retailers, particularly the supermarkets haven't capitalised on the rise to try and shift big ticket items beforehand - I would have expected some form of advertising campaign by now.

Even the Daily Wail which can be relied upon for doom hasn't moaned!

Now I'm no conspiracy theorist but it seems somewhat strange.
    Last edited by Clippy; 10 November 2010, 19:55.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Bank boss warns Britons face spike in living costs | Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      I'm a little surprised the imminent rise of VAT from 17.5% to 20% has garnered more news or attention recently particularly in the run up to Xmas.

Apart from a brief mention today within the context of the future general economic outlook there really haven't been any news items focused on the rise itself.

Also, retailers, particularly the supermarkets haven't capitalised on the rise to try and shift big ticket items beforehand - I would have expected some form of advertising campaign by now.

Now I'm no conspiracy theorist but it seems somewhat strange.
      So from a retailer perspective there is no benefit in buying in extra stock etc. So what's happening is, retailers will just be running stocks low until the new year when we will have to restock. So no point in pushing sales to reduce margins to then get stuck with stock you'll lose another 2.5% on in the New Year. I've cut my spending well back + no sale.

A lot of people have said 'well it's only 2.5%'. Yeah, that works out on pretty much everything. Fuel, food, clothes (also expect your rates to go up as well as the costs filter through).

Next year is double dip year.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just wait until the students see the price of Pot Noodles rise by 2p

Maybe the media are keeping the VAT rise in their back pocket for a slow week of news stories. Either that or they're deliberately keeping quiet so that we forget and our reactions in the new year are even more explosive.

Comment

Working...
        X