• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opening a business bank account rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening a business bank account rant

I have just tried opening a business account for the new venture - Plan B.

The buggers that hold my personal and business accounts for the last god knows how long will not let me open a bloody account without jumping through their hoops. Winkers.

I only want to pay some bloody invoices into it, I'm it not asking for credit. Is there any liability they have by me opening an account? Am I missing something?

The process was halted when I couldn't provide a commercial address, even though what I am planning on doing is viable from residential property, although more difficult I admit. I made this point and the bloody tossbag said since I had said I was going to look at commercial premises then he couldn't continue with the application. Even though I may not even take them. Now I'm bloody stumped until I find some suitable premises - with this application anyhow.

I also asked what other parts of the application process could possibly get in the way at a later date regarding information they needed....and the winker started talking about discussing our routes to market, where the income is generated, business plan stuff.....which I have but what the fook is it to do with some spotty faced oik with a shiney name badge with "commercial executive business manager" or somesuch tulipe on it. Do I have to explain the processes involved with the product to someone with two GCSEs and an a-level, I'm sure I would find this difficult. Can I charge them for this time on a consultancy basis?

Alll of this took around 1/2 an hour of my very limitted spare time (putting plan B into action and keeping the curent contract going - oh and keeping a wife and two kids happy-ish). I spoke to three seperate people with varying accents. Why can't one person deal with it. And why, oh why can't I go into my local bank with my passport and some proof of address and speak to someone who can then tell me an account number so I can start invoicing. Does all this bulltulip make the world go round.

Anyway, who works for who? They are looking after my money for me, which become an asset of theirs, and providing a method of which to make and recieve payments. What interest do they have? What liability is passed on to them, or are they just after the address where the assets are held at in case they are left out of pocket? How can they be left out of pocket?

Can anyone advise where to get a bog standard business account from, preferably with some pretty quick setup times as I need to send off some invoices as soon as possible.

Are they all like this lately?

</RANT>

Breathe. Calm.

Welcome to UK plc 2010. The only country in the world where the people are becoming stupider day by day.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

It was much harder already in 2005 - quality of service has gone downhill massively

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post

Can anyone advise where to get a bog standard business account from, preferably with some pretty quick setup times as I need to send off some invoices as soon as possible.
        Recently opened a new business account with Santander. Just a few hoops to jump through and all dealt with by one knowledgable advisor in a branch. Took around five working days to have the account ready for use.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Recently opened a new business account with Santander. Just a few hoops to jump through and all dealt with by one knowledgable advisor in a branch. Took around five working days to have the account ready for use.
          Cheers, may take a wonder up the high street then.

I take it's not normal to be asked such stupid questions about the business then.

Comment

Cater Allen are my business bank, opened quickly, no bobs answering the phone, but their online banking needs an upgrade.

Comment

Cheers, may take a wonder up the high street then.

I take it's not normal to be asked such stupid questions about the business then.
              They weren't much interested other than to take a few notes. They wanted a letterhead, ID etc. Other than that the waiting time is for the usual credit check.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Sorry but I must be missing the point. Do you not already have an account for your conned tractor business?

Our various sources of income all go through the one company and its Cater Allen company bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                  Sorry but I must be missing the point. Do you not already have an account for your conned tractor business?

Our various sources of income all go through the one company and its Cater Allen company bank account.
                  It's a completely different Ltd, different business/ product/ assets, different directors/ shareholders, different accounts and tax structure i'm afraid.

Comment

They are looking after my money for me, which become an asset of theirs, and providing a method of which to make and recieve payments. What interest do they have? What liability is passed on to them, or are they just after the address where the assets are held at in case they are left out of pocket? How can they be left out of pocket?
                    Actually - if you're not going to be indebted to them in any way, and are simply going to be running money through the account and keeping it in credit, they will regard these as liabilities, not assets. It's a moot point, not in any way justifying their inept service.

What they will have to do is run KYC (Know Your Customer) checks to make sure you're above board, a genuine business and not a money-laundering front. That might be part of the runaround they're giving you. Did you make it clear from the outset you're not interested in any lines of credit? That this is just to process some invoices? Some high street banks don't have a clue about contracting business models, and will evaluate you in the same way they'd evaluate a grocers, a restaurant, or any other SME with significant overheads and a higher degree of risk.

Why don't you ask your accountant to set up a business account for you, to save your time and leverage the good relationship he/she may have with a bank? My accountant did this for me with Cater Allen and it was a pain-free process.

Comment

Working...
                    X